London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
61 to 69 of 69 messages
08/05/2011 at 08:19
as I live in the Lincolnshire Wolds, our views of foxes are quite clear, vermin. However, our cat, a little tortie (read "Velociraptor") took apart a fox that made the schoolboy error of visiting our lane a few year ago. Oddly the chickens beat the living hell out of the cat, but the cat still looks after their interests. The cat often goads and attacks our neighbours ratty dogs too. The cat's name is "PC", all bow to to PC, respect the cat.
26/05/2011 at 18:50
Last night I had to, in my nightie, wrench my cat from between 2 foxes. The foxes are being fed by my neighbours who think they are sweet. And they are. But as I pulled my poo, wee and blood covered pet from these wonderful animals...do you know what - they backed off (in the face of screaming back off nightie woman) 5 feet. 5 feet. Possible 4. And then came in closer. We are domesticating them without the... what.... I don't know?! Something is wrong. I wish I knew the solution.....
05/10/2011 at 17:25
Here is a strange story re a cat and a fox. A few weeks ago, my cat 18 years old disappeared. I know cats are meant to go away to die and I had been expecting the cat to die any day. There was no sign of her in my garden and I asked my neighbours to check their gardens. Two weeks passed. Then, to my horrow, her rotting, half-eaten and mangled corpse turned up near the side gate of my garden. My son told me he had seen the fox in our garden early that morning. So, I assumed the fox was responsible. I then buried the cat in the garden lawn quite deeply with the turf replaced. Then, again to my horrow, a few days later the corpse had been dug up and was nowhere to be seen. I have read on this site that a fox can come back to 'exhume' a corpse. 3 questions puzzle me: (1)did the fox kill the cat in the first place? (2)why did the fox return the corpse? (3) And why did the fox return to dig up and remove the corpse? Any suggestions for this puzzling behaviour of a fox would be appreciated.
10/10/2011 at 11:37
I wonder whether the fox found the cat's body deep in the bushes somewhere. Although I am sure foxes would kill an aging, injured or sick cat given half a chance. As with most predators, they will take whatever they can get, especially if it will not fight back. And like most predators, foxes are also scavengers, so are always ready to eat carrion.
11/10/2011 at 14:27
Thanks Richard for your thoughts. I am pretty sure that the cat's body assuming a natural death was not in mine or neighbours gardens. So there is still the puzzling thing of why the corpse was delivered to our back gate presumably by the fox. Why didn't the fox eat the body where it first found it? Or, take the body to its lair?
28/11/2011 at 18:43
chrissy, im with you, Catty's always say that cats are clean animals, hmmmmm i wonder, cats never do their business in their own garden, no, that would be filthy, they just saunter into other gardens, and you know the rest. surely this is feline fly tipping!! if my lumbering boxer dog vaulted next doors fence, and graced his cabbage patch with a pound or two of his finest, he would be branded as a disgusting untrained mutt, but when the boot is on the other paw.............. some people are just dogist:-)
18/05/2012 at 08:07

Ha Ha... reading all your comments makes my day!  Well, here I am again getting my gardes ship shape and getting rid of the weeds, hoeing and planting... and what do I see - that darned ginger tom who has not stepped foot in my garden all winter because it has been wet wet wet.... but now he is back and starting to create havoc as usual.  I have just been to the local supermarket and purchased a large toy water gun, (all else has failed) - not not for my grandchildren they are out of the toy water gun stage now, but for me.  I am going to keep it filled with water and shoot the darned ginger tom with COLD WATER because I know he does not like to get wet.  I shall let you all know if it works.  Love your comments.

18/05/2012 at 12:38

Foxes are frightened of cats. Cats in my street chase the foxes. The foxes in my street are lovely but very timid creatures.  God knows what the poor things must eat as there is precious little food for them in urban areas so I do put stuff out that Iwould otherwise put in the bin (why fill landsites when unwanted food can go to a good cause).  People complain about foxes but remember they have to eat to and feed their young and its not their fault we are taking away their habitats. If we looked our wildlife better then maybe they wouldn't resort to the measure that some people claim they resort to looking for food.  IF a fox was seen with a seagull then something must have been wrong with the gull or it was dead and sure it is a lie if a swan was seen in a fox's mouth - unless it was already dead.

18/05/2012 at 13:31

I think foxes have taken up residence in urban areas because they can scavenge for food easily and - of course - are nowadays being encouraged to stay because people think they're "cute" and so on, and feed them, so I would argue against your view that there is precious little food for them.  What there is, of course, is plenty of shelter and somewhere they can raise their young - under garden sheds and so on. I believe they will only stay and breed in places where they can easily find sources of food.  Apparently people in the UK throw out an astonishing amount of foodstuff  these days and dustbins etc are a relatively easy target for foxes - they don't have to stalk a dustbin!

I have to confess, however, that I did once put left-over dog food out for a few days for an injured fox.  It had a mangled paw and had been investigating the contents of my dustbin for several days - despite the fact that there was nothing edible there apart from some chicken bones which were wrapped in newspaper.  I hoped that perhaps it would recover fairly quickly - obviously wasn't fast enough on its uninjured three feet to catch a rabbit or rat - otherwise it would have had a lingering death I suppose.  Maybe it was the same one which took one of my gardening boots and buried it in the shrubbery!

email image
61 to 69 of 69 messages