London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
8 messages
02/02/2011 at 14:54
Reply to Queen Victoria. Your majesty, No-one could accuse me of keeping a too-tidy allotment. My piece-meal repairs ought not to cause too much concern. Thank you for your keen and quick-witted attention though.
03/02/2011 at 18:31
Unfortunately I was of the same belief as the gardener who chopped them up for 35 years as the ones I was finding were nothing like the fat things you see on the internet.Mine are much thinner and pale orange.So in desperation to find out if the creatures I was encountering were friend or foe. I rang a gardening program on Hereford and Worcester radio.The expert gave me this advice if they scamper away with speed their normal friend.
05/02/2011 at 18:06
The tiny specimens here in the UK are harmless, quite unlike their cousins in my native Barbados that can grow up to eight inches or so in length and half an inch in width. These fast moving 'monsters' have a venomous, most painful sting and rightly deserve the crush of a blunt instrument or the afore-mentioned spade treatment.
07/02/2011 at 19:39
Shame on the folk who kill these geophilids!! Mind you, they do indeed look like what you would expect a wireworm to look like!
12/02/2011 at 09:59
I HAVE RAISED BEDS, LAST YR I GREW POTS, RUNNERS AND SALAD PRODUCE. BUT COULD I PLANT CARROTS AND PARSNIPS IN THEM?, AND WHAT COULD I USE TO GROW BTWEEN PLANTS TO DISTRACT UNWANTED PESTS LIKE CARROT FLY?. I MUST ALSO SAY THAT TOO SQUASH ANY INSECT IS FOLLY, EACH ONE IS PART OF FOOD CHAIN, WHICH HELP GOOD INSECTS AS WELL AS BAD.
13/02/2011 at 09:03
Just reading Honeybug1 comment about carrots. I plant mine in the front garden in a raised bed behind all the summer bedding along the bottom of a brick wall and I get a really good crop and no problem with carrot fly, I also do the same with parsnips. I do have to admit though, this was my husbands idea but what a good one.
28/04/2011 at 01:30
there is something eatting the blossoms off of my squash what do i do about this
28/11/2011 at 18:43
Isn't removal of shelter (in this case, your rotting raised beds) in winter a "death warrant to the torpid creature exposed to the bitter elements and roving winter scavengers eager for an easy morsel"? Or do you not practice what you preach Mr Bugman?
email image
8 messages