London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
10 messages
17/03/2009 at 18:10
We have just moved house and have been blessed with a very large garden. Now its knowing where to start as it is totally grassed. Cant wait to get stuck in!
17/03/2009 at 18:55
I love your garden, the design is quite inspiring but I can see how you have loads to choose from. I would suggest gypsophila (a bit 80's maybe but it is so soft and beautiful). Love Lies Bleeding would add a tropical feel. Definitely keep the crocosmia, it's so stunning. A favourite of mine! Good luck, cant wait to see the end result
18/03/2009 at 17:35
can anyone tell me how to thicken up the grass on my lawn.i have redone the garden,but have run out of money to re-turf it[although its not to bad].some of the grass is a bit patchy and i was going to put seed down on the poor bits...but would like it to look nice and thick,its a bit shadey with many oak-trees,i back onto woods..
18/03/2009 at 20:06
cant wait were moving house in three months wont have to worry about the asbo kids knocking down my canes or stomping on my veg garden even better ive the house im moving into has a front garden twice the size of mine and the back garden is three times the size of a penalty box and better sun possition anyone fancy designing a garden for me kid friendly any full of flowers with a veg plot lol
19/03/2009 at 13:14
Did you have a wee willie winkie hat to go with your jimjams?
19/03/2009 at 20:49
How about a stipa gigantea? It looks like you'd get some sunshine backlighting the seedheads from your windows which would look fantastic.
19/03/2009 at 21:32
You have changed the design from soft to geometric. There are an amazing variety of colours in New Zealand Flax, which can rise above the lower growing plants for structure. Alliums come in all heights. 'Euphorbia characias wulfenii' is easy to grow and eyecatching. Softer edges can be induced by grasses. I tend to also look for the unusual as a talking point. I am very found of 'Green Dream' an interesting 'Mathiasella bupleuroides'. Then inbetween use splashes of colour. I like my garden to be producing colour and form whatever the time of year. The list is endless, but unless you have a vision of structure and colour it is difficult to give you ideas. Good luck with your gardening venture
12/04/2009 at 08:40
Sarah's Pond Life - shade mix grass seed is available to oversow your lawn - choose one rich in fescues and rake out the moss first - but don't mow it too much or too short - otherwise you'll have a fine patch of moss by autumn! As for the oak trees - it will prove difficult to get grass to grow under an oak tree to lawn standard - why not try naturalising spring bulbs and leave the grass to grow in these areas? Nothing looks better than native flora - Wood anemones, wild garlic and bluebells (Although make sure that you chose the native rather than Spanish bluebell as the latter is out-competing our native variety)
15/05/2009 at 20:27
Hi, I have a very small cottage garden. I have one side of my garden which is in the shade for most of the day. Could someone kindly recommend some cottage plants that like the shade? Thank you! Georgina
28/11/2011 at 18:38
"I redesigned the area, based on a pair of flannel pyjamas I had when I was a boy" what better reason can anyone have? marvellous
email image
10 messages