London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
4 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:29
On my allotment i find that flea beetles are not as selective as your article suggests. They love a wide range of plants from radishes to turnips. I had never heard of them before working on the allotment.

What would interupt their life cycle - apart from killing the adults when they have already attacked the crops?

Valerie
Before using thiacloprid, imidacloprid, acetamocloprid or any other neonicotinoid pesticide, I recommed visiting the Buglife website, to read their report summarising independent research on neonicotinoids. They kill bees & other non-target insects - eg. butterflies etc. Miniscule amounts impair the ability of insect to function resulting inevitably in death. Also, seek out the fact sheets from the US environment agency -you may get a shock! We used to manage without them & can now.
thought the sticky solution was an excellent organic idea - have just tried it using a piece of tree band (for protecting against insects).
Seems to have collected quite a lot of the little beasties - will continue daily and see how it goes.
Have protected my newly planted brassicas with small tunnels - hope this will keep them protected
valerie1's comment above is understandable because turnips, radishes and swedes are all part of the brassica family and so are subject to flea beetle attack.
email image
4 messages