Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Gardening clothes

Sturdy ankle boots, jeans and tee shirt with various over layers depending on the weather. I have a belt for the Felco holster which is big enough to go over my coat if necessary or can be tightened for over jeans. I have a large collection of hats too but I don't seem to wear them in the garden.

• One of the best things about gardening programmes is looking at what people wear. I'm sure Monty must have hoards of female fans stamping on his cotton jackets to get them to have that "what this old thing, I've had it for years" look. Carol Klein has you running for the sunglasses and Chris Beardshaw goes for the rugged manly look - but at least they all have dirty fingernails - never trust a gardener with smooth hands and clean fingernails. But at least the clothes defineth the man, if you can't remember the name then "the one with the big hat" couldn't be anyone else but you James.
  • I wear a pair of cream jodpurs that I have had in my draw for years. They are warmer than jeans, fit right into my wellies, dont reveal my underwear when I kneel and no matter what I do to them they always come clean!! Perfect!
  • The most essential pieces of gardening clothing has to be, a body warmer with lots of pockets and a pair of combat trousers also with extra pockets in the sides. They are so useful for all those extra bits of twine, pruning clippers and the all important pocket knife for cuttings.
  • I always end up wearing clothes that i love but which are no longer fit for public view - the T-shirt with a stain or torn jumper.
  • After gently teasing my 10-year-old daughter about her fascination with Crocs, she got her own back by getting me a pair for Christmas. They are perfect for pottering about in the garden.
  • I wear old trousers or shorts no longer fit for normal wear and then strappy tops, T-shirts, sweatshrits, old jumpers according to the season. I was given a quilted lumberjack shirt which is brilliant for cold dry days and wear green cotton jacket with zipper and hood when it's wet. I have a waxed cotton hat for sunnny days and rainy days but it doesn't stay on in the wind.

Footwear is always wellies. I have a pair for summer with no socks, another for spring and autumn with one pair of socks and another for winter that can take 2 or even 3 pairs of socks. Much to my daughter's embarrassment these are all in shades of pink and purple and have matching plastic trugs and gloves which I bought on a whim.

• Currently sporting steel toecap boots with a good grip, cheapish jeans with stretch and a bit of bootleg to prevent compost etc going into boots. Long sleeve long thermal top, small close fitting poloneck fleece, larger fleece, water and windproof shell. Gloves that will dry fairly quickly when grabbing a quick cuppa. Woolly lined hat, glasses that steam up. Not very elegant, especially when popping to tesco on the way home, even worse when muddy!! It's the day job and I wouldn't have it any other way. Summer wear consists of jeans, lighter boots, long T-shirt to protect the bit of your back you always forget to put suncream on when weeding....I'd love to look like Rachel de Thame but I don't think its going to happen soon.
  • Ski wear is fab for winter gardening. If you can pick up a jacket in the sales, you'll never feel the January chill again.
  • I always wear a pair of craghopper trousers as they have plenty of pockets for all those little things we gardeners carry around with us like pruning knives and such, then on colder days a jumper complete with holes or in summer a comfy Tshirt.All topped off with a gilet or waterproof jacket on those chillier or wet days.
  • I find fingerless wool gloves are just the job in winter and like James, a good felt wide brim hat does the job too - quite natty I think! I think Sarah Raven looks a million dollars in her outfits, she can come and arrange my flowers any time!