London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
13 messages
06/02/2012 at 17:08
We only had a light fall of snow in Bristol, Adam but I was out there with my biscuit crumbs for the robins and my camera. Now all our snow has gone but my desktop has been changed from a summer shot of Barrington Court to the snow scene of my garden with two wood pigeons pinching the biscuit crumbs. I had to go into my potting shed for my saw as the snowfall had been too much for a 14foot yucca and snapped the trunk. Snow does beautify everything despite the damage it can do. All my large yuccas were fine in the last two severe winters but they had put on a lot of lush new leaves in the warm October weather this year. No two years are ever the same for us gardeners. I've never heard a gardener say he or she was bored!
06/02/2012 at 17:33
Sorry your tall yucca collapsed under the weight of snow, happymarion. I'm sure you are not alone.

Talking about taking photos of your robin, Tim got an amazing picture of 'my' robin during a recent visit. They're so inquisitive at this time of year, and the robin came right up in front of me while clearing a border so it could get in the picture. I'll certainly be using this picture in my What To Do Now pages of the magazine in future.
06/02/2012 at 17:58

To me the snow  brought an added demension, helped to frame the garden, and also add new interest.

I'd just love to have a reasonable quality camera and the skill to take a good photo.

Here are two examples from our garden.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8219/97921876.jpg

Icing On The Cake.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6091/61785810.jpg

06/02/2012 at 19:59
I pulled a muscle in my back the day before the snow came. It meant I couldn't go sledging so instead I had lots of fun on my own with my camera. I was looking for gardens that spill over into the public domain, or making outdoor green spaces my garden.

www.thegreenladyhastings.blogspot.com
06/02/2012 at 20:29
I have a pretty good idea that I probably won't have to brush the snow off my newly planted trees, pyracantha, mini hawthorn hedge, amelanchier and all the little snowdrops, primroses, bluebells, hellebores, cowslips, and daffodils, cos I'm pretty sure we won't be getting any!!
06/02/2012 at 20:43
Hello Adam,On the 16th September Kate was telling us the virtue's of Ivy and how it doesn't damage the host tree,On my way to the golf course lunch time with the dogs my way was blocked by a large tree covered with Ivy laying across the path,We only had 60mm of snow,The high wind's of January brought down other's covered with Ivy.I'm not against Ivy but there are time's when it will kill it's host tree and leave it in a dangerous condition.
06/02/2012 at 22:50
My purple sprouting broccli and bridsel sprouts have drooped terribly in this snow and frost, will they recover?
07/02/2012 at 10:22

Thank oldchippy. Yes, I agree that ivy growing in trees is not always beneficial. Wildlife may like it, but the extra weight and volume of this vigorous evergreen can act like a sail and pull down even healthy trees and branches in high wind. The extra weight of snow they carry during winter can also be too much for many to carry without damage.

Ivy can also be a thug. As always, follow teh advice 'right plant, right place' and you shouldn't go wrong.

07/02/2012 at 16:16

I like the photos Eddie J. You don't always need a "quality" camera to take good photos. A good photographer with a basic camera can get some pretty good pictures.

Marygold 

07/02/2012 at 18:13
We haven't had one flake of snow here in Bournemouth but it has been bitterly cold. All I've been doing is running outside to defrost the bird bath and keeping them fed. I have had Snowdrops arrive in the post but the ground it too hard to put them in so they are in a pot at the moment waiting for milder weather.
09/02/2012 at 18:07
apart from ensuring there was clean unfrozen water and topping up the seed & nut feeders, we decided to enjoy the pretty views and let the birds get on with stuffing themselves. To our delight, about 10 Redwings descended on our (bird donated ) hollu bush and proceeded to eat as many berries as possible. Having gotten the easy ones they spent a lot of the following day trying very hard to get at the others. They didn't quite succeed but the berries have been reduced by about 90% and we have had a wonderful view of at least 10 Redwings, which although we have seen them in local fields, have never visited our garden before. More snow please!!
10/02/2012 at 15:19

I enjoyed a similar bird feeding frenzy this morning. After more snow yesterday evening, the local blackbirds have finally discovered the red crab apples still hanging on to a neighbours tree.

At 7.00 this morning I could hardly believe my eyes when I counted 8 blackbirds on this small crab apple tree in their front garden. Far from fighting with one another, the cold weather appears to have brought them closer together. Long may it last – well, probably until all the apples have been eaten!

10/02/2012 at 16:27
not much in Gloucester either rain cleared it
email image
13 messages