London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
21 to 26 of 26 messages
28/06/2011 at 11:09
Gwen, really sorry to read of your son's illness. Your comment has certainly made me think about my own problems & put them into perspective. You are right, in times of trouble the garden is indeed a good friend. You don't have to talk to it or explain yourself to it; you can take out anger & frustration in it & it will never hold it against you; you can find moments of peace in it & cry in it without anyone asking questions. Will most certainly say a prayer for you & your son.
28/06/2011 at 19:33
I have just had the pleasure of seeing sweet peas in great variety grown splendidly in Hidcote Manor. There were annual ones grown through hazel wigwams, one colour to each wigwam and all placed with backdrops to show them to their best advantage. "Cupani" was there scenting the pathway andthere were perennial and bush varieties as well. They really were stars in the garden and then, in the afternoon, the roses were the stars at Kiftsgate Gardens,although that was where I was able to buy a packet of L.niger with a view to having black sweet peas in my black Olympic ring next year. Gwen, I too have found solace in the garden. Best wishes to you and your boy.
29/06/2011 at 12:07
I have just found out that Lathyrus niger has purple flowers - the black part is the colour of the leaves when they die! But we should all be growing it as it is a rare native plant. I shall grow my seeds and plant them in my spinney. iIt is extinct in many parts of the UK and such a pretty plant. Chiltern seeds sell the seeds as well as Kiftsgate Court.
21/08/2011 at 18:44
I have grown sweet pea quite sucessfully but i do not know enough about them they have pods on them now i don't know if you can eat them or not?
31/08/2011 at 10:49
Jane: Best not to eat them.
28/11/2011 at 18:43
I have always enjoyed gardening , but now it has become a place where i can go think about nothing , be free from worrys and have some me time . My only son of 21 has got cancer and the garden has become a close friend that gives support without saying anything.
email image
21 to 26 of 26 messages