London (change)
Mon 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
26/01/2013 at 09:56

We have had cat problems for years now. I wish that all owners could fit them with bells to at least give some of the birds a chance. Fledglings will always find it difficult but it would let the adult birds know if they are being stalked. Is it true they used to cull magpies? There seems to be an ever growing number of these predators from one year to the next.

29/11/2013 at 12:19
Opps - wrong advice re weight of hedgehogs as they NEED TO BE 650gms in order to survive winter.
Also do not give fishy flavour cat food and NOT milk either. Best thing to do is get advice from a Rescue Center (or vet) on the day you find it.
29/11/2013 at 16:17

sadly round here for the last 5years I have not so much  as seen  a squashed Hedgehog let alone a live one. The birds seem to like fat balls and now seem to have gone off the nuts and seeds.

20/06/2014 at 04:19
I have just put up some bird boxes around the house and garden and hung some seed feeders nearby but the birds don't seem interested. What can I do to encourage them to nest?
20/06/2014 at 06:19

Patience Barry  

Most birds have already got their nest sites organised so just keep an eye out for them taking a look at potential new homes, but it might be next year so don't be disheartened. There's lots of food around for birds at this time of year so they may not be interested in feeders just now, but once it gets to autumn you'll find they start coming in. It also depends what birds are in your area so do a little research and take a look at what visits so that you can tailor the type of feed you use. It can take a while for birds to find your hospitality as they may have regular sites elsewhere which they go to first. I've been in this house just over a year and they're getting to know the garden better now -  it just takes a little time 

email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages