London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
26/01/2013 at 09:56

We have had cat problems for years now. I wish that all owners could fit them with bells to at least give some of the birds a chance. Fledglings will always find it difficult but it would let the adult birds know if they are being stalked. Is it true they used to cull magpies? There seems to be an ever growing number of these predators from one year to the next.

29/11/2013 at 12:19
Opps - wrong advice re weight of hedgehogs as they NEED TO BE 650gms in order to survive winter.
Also do not give fishy flavour cat food and NOT milk either. Best thing to do is get advice from a Rescue Center (or vet) on the day you find it.
29/11/2013 at 16:17

sadly round here for the last 5years I have not so much  as seen  a squashed Hedgehog let alone a live one. The birds seem to like fat balls and now seem to have gone off the nuts and seeds.

20/06/2014 at 04:19
I have just put up some bird boxes around the house and garden and hung some seed feeders nearby but the birds don't seem interested. What can I do to encourage them to nest?
20/06/2014 at 06:19

Patience Barry  

Most birds have already got their nest sites organised so just keep an eye out for them taking a look at potential new homes, but it might be next year so don't be disheartened. There's lots of food around for birds at this time of year so they may not be interested in feeders just now, but once it gets to autumn you'll find they start coming in. It also depends what birds are in your area so do a little research and take a look at what visits so that you can tailor the type of feed you use. It can take a while for birds to find your hospitality as they may have regular sites elsewhere which they go to first. I've been in this house just over a year and they're getting to know the garden better now -  it just takes a little time 

16/10/2014 at 14:21
The hedgehog communities near me have greatly diminished and now my garden is losing the growth and lively spirit that the blooms have had for many centuries.
18/10/2014 at 22:15
It sounds idyllic living in the countryside surrounded by fields, the long light nights during the summer,pottering about in the garden and making sure that all the feeding stations are full and then watching the birds come to feast. However Winter is just around the corner,the days are getting shorter and the nights are longer and suffering from ill health I was starting to feel a bit depressed until a little creature decided to start visiting my garden.I call him /her squeaky very original ha,ha.A cute little mouse.Squeaky comes for breakfast,sometimes lunch and then finally evening meal.My hubby says its like a 5 star hotel at the feeding stations. Has anyone ever tried banana? It goes like hot cakes.
18/10/2014 at 23:02

I feed fat ball, seed, nuts, mealworms and any fruit I have that is passed its best.  I dont ground feed but the other birds seem to drop enough to keep the larger birds happy.  I have consciously planted shrubs and perenials that attract wildlife.  I do tidy the garden for the winter but I do have a log pile and have created wildlife 'homes' with housebricks behind some of the shrubs.  I have a birdbath and a half barrel and also try and leave some water in a shallow dish on the floor.  The birds line up to feed and we get lots of insects, frogs and toads, I havent seen any hedgehogs.   We do get the odd cats visiting the garden and I have to say that occasionally I see evidence of a bird kill, although that could be the sparrow hawks that drop in occasionally. 

18/10/2014 at 23:25
Mike hasn'tread all the replies. However to answer the original question. Add some glycerine to the water. It perfectly safe.
18/10/2014 at 23:27
However might I add. Wildlife has managed to survive far longer thanwe have walked the earth. Perhaps it might be as well, to leave things alone.
email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages