London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
16 messages
30/11/2007 at 12:09
...but what do you do with them after you've collected them? I can stomp on one snail but get squeamish about mass murder!
01/12/2007 at 12:09
What a good idea to have a snail hunt. As soon as it stops raining I shall be out there with a pail of salt water.
04/12/2007 at 11:40
Wow, havn't checked the bird boxes yet!! And talking of birds, they are one possible method of green-disposal!
04/12/2007 at 21:31
Also, did you know that apparently all British snail are edible? (revenge or what)
05/12/2007 at 15:56
Are they really edible?? I have got lots in my small garden. Does anyone have a recipe for cooking snails?
05/12/2007 at 16:56
Icky!!! I did find a large amount in a plastic bag at the back of the greenhouse the other day. Needless to say, neck tied and in the bin! Perhaps a few bag lined pots selectively placed around the garden would help solve a disposal problem??
06/12/2007 at 11:56
I went for a walk on the Scarborough disused railway track and at a disused platform there where hundreds of snails hibernating on the wall uck! If I Lived nearer I would take some salt water.
08/12/2007 at 17:36
I just can't bring myself to kill them even thought one of some of my favourite plants are Hostas. I tend to collect them on a trowel and hurl them into the middle of the garden and hope the birds do it for me!!
10/12/2007 at 11:36
mmmmmm, I'm very glad I'm a vegetarian, but do you know even if I were a rampant carnivore, I suspect there are some things I would not eat...how ever much garlic butter was used!!!! Neat idea about the poly-bag lined pots...
01/02/2008 at 11:15
you can eat snails, but you must purge them first, after collecting a few you must put them in a container, one they cant get out of... and let them get rid of any fecal waste they may have, obviously dont give them anything to eat, after about three days you can then cook them, garlic butter or whatever recipe you have for snails.
22/02/2008 at 17:36
I also cannot bring myself to kill all the snails in my garden that are nestling in between to stone walls. If I toss them over the fence into the park, do you think they will be eating by the birds or will crawl back into the garden (mine or a neighbours)?
17/05/2008 at 08:46
I have a problem with olive green slugs, usually we have seen plain back slugs in the garden but these are mottled green colour?
13/07/2008 at 12:06
I prefer to give all snails i find in the garden flying lessons(there not very good at it)but at least when they hit the ground its fresh food for the birds
02/03/2009 at 14:50
I was out walking in Cumbria this weekend when I came upon dozens of snails of all sizes in a crevice in the trunk of a large tree. I poked them with my stick but they were stuck fast. I've found them under stones and in the compost heap but never in trees. I was pleased to see a number of thrushes nearby. Hopefully they will have a good feed on them. Meanwhile, I will continue to dispose of the ones in my garden by any means possible. But forget about beer traps. The snails just throw boozy parties and procreate all the more.
24/07/2009 at 15:19
At dusk, my lawn is teaming with slugs. (my garden is 100 x 40ft in size). Literally covered with them. Not sure how to deal with this problem as there are quite a few cats in the area I don't wish them to come to any harm through any chemical solutions. Advice greatly appreciated.
28/11/2011 at 18:30
27 in bird nesting box amongst climber.
email image
16 messages