Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to grow garlic

Garlic- If my garlic plants go to seed does that mean that will be no good for harvesting, or can I just decapitate the seed head and let them carry on?

Why do my garlic plants manage to bury themselves so deeply?

• LucieLucie Posts: 1
    Which way round are you supposed to plant them? Pointy end up or down?
  • linnylinny Posts: 1
    Last year my garlic only grew very small,what did I do wrong.
  • I am going to plans out my Garlic bulbs tomorrow but am concerned it may be too cold? I purchased the cloves from my local grocer so they are very fresh they are also French the date today is the 11th December and cold weather is forcast am I okay to plant out?
  • I recently bought some large garlic bulbs from a supermarket, the bulbs are just one large clove slightly smaller than a golf ball or about the size of a large chestnut.
    Can these bulbs be planted like the smaller ones?
    And do you know what this round variety of bulb is called?
  • this is so easy im going to do it next year
  • Can you recommend some varities please. I want to grow 2 or 3 different varities next year.
  • I planted my garlic cloves last Autumn, when will they be ready to harvest? The plants are growing well at the moment? Any suggestions on keeping them that way?
  • I think this type of garlic is called elephant garlic, see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_garlic
  • i planted mine on 26/9/2011. when do i harvest
  • Just break off the bud as soon as you see it. These bulbs I just keep for use, not for seed.

No idea why they bury themselves deeply but I guess it's probably to get a good moisture supply.