Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to lift and store dahlias

I got 6 dahlias in pots is it ok to leave in pot & store in shed & also should i leave or cut off stems. Chris

• The danger with leaving them in the pot is that they will rot. What I would do is remove the dahlia from the pot, cut off the stem and dry the tuber as described in the article. Once dry place the Tubers in a tray/pot and cover with dry compost. Then watch Sarah's video on taking cuttings. From my experience taking cuttings is a guaranteed way of increasing your stock of Dahlias for free!
  • I would like someone to answer stoneyford(Chris') comment because I'd also like to ask that question! Thanks Vic.
  • Last year as a trial I left one Dahlia plant in a pot & it came back this year and it is flowering now. When the leaves were blacken by the frost I cut the top growth and left the tuber in the pot & kept it dry in the greenhouse. Around March I brought them inside onto a sunny windowsill and started watering the tubers and they started to grow. If you keep the pot dry you should be able to leave the tubers in their pots.
  • is it OK to lift them if they are still in flower ? or should i wait until they die down.
  • I live in Enniskillen N.I. we can't leave in soil as they will rot. To wet.
  • Interesting post! I've been searching for useful tips on how to grow dahlia tubers. I want to grow dahlia tubers of different variety I got at Lynch Creek Farm. I look forward to see other helpful tips in this site.
  • I leave my dahlias in the ground until the frosts, because where I live ( Sutton Surrey ) they are still in their prime. Gardening as we all know is not done to the exact time of the year but by on conditions prevailing at the time. I think this is important to bear in mind the pundits are reminding us not saying it should happen necessarily now.
  • Excellent advice. I was really unsure what to do with my Dahlias but this answers my question. Thanks GW....
  • I was thinking of using sawdust instead of dry compost, for storage, any comments would be welcome
  • I usually wait until the first frost when the foliage goes black, then i lift them.