London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
7 messages
13/11/2012 at 20:38
I note that Chris says keep them uncovered and dry. yet Monty says keep them covered and moist. I will, as ever, ignore Monty's advice.
13/11/2012 at 21:49

Don't - dahlias can dry up and die if they get too dry.

13/11/2012 at 22:27
I pot up dahlias and keep dry. I dig up tubers and leave them uncovered in the greenhouse. I leave dahlias in the ground. Albeit I'm in mild SW I have only lost dahlias through rot. Did Monty say keep them moist? How can you do that with tubers? If tubers are now fat n full I think keeping them dry and frost free is best. Keep in greenhouse, wrap in fleece and in cardboard boxes.
14/11/2012 at 07:18

To clarify-he stored them in a box with vermiculite and he damped the vermiculite-he did not say keep them moist -just not to completely dry out-I find they seldom completely dry out and I cover mine with newspaper

His were kept in frost-free greenhouse where the temperarure did not drop below 5c as I recall so pehaps a tad warmer than usual and he also said to inspect them occasionally-good advice

If you think about if kept in the ground they are never going to dry out and always be moist

It is as usual what works for you-ignore what you l like-but why "as ever" Hostafan 1?

14/11/2012 at 09:39

By contrast, I've never had any problem with rot in an airy garage, but I have lost them through drying out. As Geoff says, they never dry out in the ground.

08/09/2013 at 01:34
very interesting thanks
08/09/2013 at 07:25

I thought you waited untill the frost has killed of the folige and then dig them up turn them upside down for a week or two and then store them in a cool dark place in a brown bag or straw.

turning upside down to let the water drain out so they don't root 

James

email image
7 messages