London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
11 messages
12/07/2013 at 09:17
I understood that Orchids should always be potted in clear pots as their roots require light. If this is not so please explain why.
25/02/2014 at 11:38
I have a phaleonopsis orchid which needs repotting. It has several healthy but very long (28cm)roots trailing over the edge of the pot and I'm not keen to trim them off. I'm sure that they will snap if I try to tuck them into the new pot. Please can anyone advise me of the best action. Thanks
25/02/2014 at 13:38

Just let them trail over the edge of the new pot. You can cut them off when they go brown and dry.

12/12/2014 at 17:09
Sarah Ravens Video explains about pots and roots- worth a view.J
12/12/2014 at 17:16

Not all orchids require the same treatment.  Check which you are growing first

14/12/2014 at 09:47

I have had an orchid in the house for over 6 months in flower and I put the clear pot into a coloured non see through pot with no problems.

The roots that climb out of the pot shouldn't be cut off apparently and I've not had experience of them turning brown yet.

A really good tip that I heard for knowing when to water is, wait until the roots go a silvery white, give it a drink and you'll see them turn green.

I have never bothered spraying them with water though I've heard that you should do.

14/12/2014 at 09:56

I have had orchids for quite a few years now even managing to get them to reflower after a whole year without any.  I water once a week with room temperature water, letting the water drain through completely before putting them back into the decorative pot and feed once a month.  It's best to repot when the orchid becomes top heavy but wait until there are no flowers, use an orchid compost and don't repot into too big a pot they like to be restricted.

Don't cut off the roots unless they die back.

14/12/2014 at 10:18

Lyn, one of my orchids is currently resting. Do you keep watering as previously?

14/12/2014 at 10:56

cut back a little on the watering, it still needs nutients for making new flowers, leaves or flower spikes.  If you want to kick start it into producing new buds put it in a cool room for a few weeks then bring back into a warm room.

15/12/2014 at 09:31

Ah, very much like an amaryllis bulb then? I'll try that.

15/12/2014 at 10:54

depends on the orchid, moth orchids like light on their roots (they can use them for photosynthesis) where as slipper orchids (or hardy ones) need to be in a well draining soil (they're the ones that form bulbs).

feed only during the summer (May to September is best) during winter only water once a week, but light misting daily is best - done in the morning so it has time to dry before the cold of night hits

my orchids are moth orchids, I took them out their pots in spring and attached them to a big chunk of bark with fishing line, they're rooting into the bark now so in the spring I'll remove the line and they'll support themselves.

they're also about to break into flower (as I bought them as plants with no idea of colours it should be interesting what I get!)

email image
11 messages