London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
16 messages
25/02/2011 at 11:56
is it too early for nightingales? There was a lovely bird song coming from a tree outside our local pub last night but we weren't sure what it was! and no we hadn't had too much to drink!
25/02/2011 at 14:20
I love the song of the wren - so powerful from such a tiny bird and he makes sure we all hear by singing from the top of the tallest tree.
25/02/2011 at 15:21
Oh! to hear song birds whilst you can, but if your friend is so against this beautiful sound I suggest ear plugs, if he was deaf he would long for the song of a bird.
25/02/2011 at 15:43
Reply to kaycurtis: I quite agree, it is a beautiful sound, but I would much rather the damned thing kept civilised hours! ;)
25/02/2011 at 16:17
I love hearing the birdsong even more when i live in the city. What are the birds that sing before it just gets bright in the morning and i can hear birds sing too at dusk in the evening.
26/02/2011 at 08:21
I'm not so much woken up by the bird song, as by my two cats sitting on the bedroom windowsill at the crack of dawn watching the birds singing in the nearby tree branches, and doing their 'cat-chattering thing' out of frustration that they can't get at the birds. Apparently, I was told, they’re trying to mimic the birds to make them think they're safe - if you ask me the cats should give, they're no where near as melodious a sound to wake up to!
26/02/2011 at 08:50
The dawn chorus beats any form of alarm clock. Your a long time Deaf, ENJOY.
26/02/2011 at 14:54
We get woken by birdsong very early, too, but in our case it is a thrush. I love his song even more than that of the black bird. We have robins singing in the night, too, but their song is much 'faster and higher' and kind of more aggressive sounding than the song of black birds which I hear as lovely and melodious. It is probably quite subjective how we hear and interpret bird song....
28/02/2011 at 09:35
They are all fantastic singers and have you noticed they never sing flat arenever out of tune and always hamonise.
01/03/2011 at 08:41
When I lived in Nunhead, back in the late 1980s, I was always caught off guard by a starling that made the noise of a trim-phone http://telephonesuk.co.uk/sounds/trimphone.wav Very peculiar.
01/03/2011 at 20:39
Thanks for all your comments. Joyce - is unlikely to be a nightingale, it's often confused with the robin, which also sings at night Richard - how delightful! The starlings near me just make burglar alarm and siren noises.
05/03/2011 at 21:30
hiy fellow gardeners i often listen to the robin singing whilst in the garden he is verry cheeky i must say, last week he took a bit of pastry out of my hand was marvelouse
06/03/2011 at 19:10
I've got two robins in my garden, Ive named them Robin and Robette. They sing their little hearts out and to watch them feeding and hopping around the garden is a joy.
11/03/2011 at 10:50
I have a couple of starlings in the garden - one sounds like a phone ringing whenever I put the food out, and the other starts really high and in one long whistle, goes right to the bottom of his range and back up again - makes me smile everytime I hear it
06/07/2011 at 16:11
I've been listening to a bird each morning which I don't recognise. It makes a sort of glugging noise, a bit like a popping bubble in a highish register. I've never come across this sound before, any ideas out there?
28/11/2011 at 18:43
There is a bird who sings nearby from about 1am until at least 2.30am. I can't tell what it is, it sounds a little like a thrush but I've listened to nightingale recordings and there are similarities. So I don't know who my little songster is but I often open the window and listen a while until it gets too cold. I'd love to know it's identity.
email image
16 messages