London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
6 messages
04/12/2008 at 10:22
December 4th and I have new growth on delphiniums and 2 flowers on a white one, just come into full bloom 4 days ago. They have survived 3 days of very prolonged frosts!
10/12/2008 at 14:11
I have those leaf-cutters as well. They decimated my roses a couple of years ago. Good to know its 'OK to squish'!
20/12/2008 at 20:17
It's not ok to squish leaf cutter bees, they do no harm. The aphids are the ones to squish!!
01/08/2010 at 20:37
Can anyone help something is eating the tops off my rose buds! And pulling the pulling the bud covers inwards and leaving a white silt.Any ideas! Many thanx
28/11/2011 at 18:37
It took me a few years to learn that the huge ants that would invade my living room floor periodically, it was hard wood, actually came from the spireha? bushes outside. They were covered in aphids, at certain times of year, and that is when the ants gathered to, as the book said "milk them." So once I got rid of the aphids, I got rid of the huge ants.
13/06/2013 at 16:50
Can someone please help me identify what is happening to my roses!!
Earlier in the year I bought a new shrub rose, which was put in a pot on the patio. I was pleased because it was so healthy and had five buds on it. Last week, four of the five buds had gone, the tender stems looking as if someone had snipped them off with scissors, and the leaves on the tender stems gone too, but not the mature ones. I did see a bee-type insect there one afternoon, small with yellow/black stripes.
Similar stuff is now happening to my more mature roses. Tender buds are eaten away, as if snipped off, and leaves on the tender stems similarly eaten, leaving mature buds and leaves alone.
I haven't seen any grubs, or caterpillar type insects on them. Would really like to get rid of whatever it is, so looking forward to roses after the wretched spring we had.
email image
6 messages