London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
16/09/2011 at 13:50
Kate - like you I welcomed ivy over my garden fence for exactly the same reasons as you. I'm now having to clear 3 of my garden beds of the stuff as it has completely taken over whilst I wasn't looking. It not only climbs, but creeps, hugging the ground and getting everywhere.
16/09/2011 at 14:21
I think it all depends on the ivy involved. I had one growing up the front of the house and I removed it. It was one with enormous leaves and, to me, not very attractive, but a smaller leaved version would have been okay. I planted a white solanum instead which has proved to be pathetic. Weak stems, goes all over the shop and insignificant flowers.
16/09/2011 at 14:48
Hooray for ivy and you - it's so nice to see someone else sing the praises of this much-maligned plant. I hate to see the hobbled remains of cut ivy when a mature tree covered in it is a magnet for wildlife of all kinds
16/09/2011 at 14:49
I find Ivy to be incredibly beautiful. If you try and imagine a world without it, it is quite hard (churchyards, crumbling low walls, covered treestumps). We have a wild area of our garden where it is relished and enjoyed - and covers an old tree which is no longer with us - but has become a kind of sculpture. By the way - I think that photo is particularly beautiful. Bring on the ivy!
16/09/2011 at 18:58
Kate,try Parthenocissus quinquefolia. I have it growing on a north/west facing wall.It has to be pruned 3/4 times a year but worth it for the glorious autumn colours.
16/09/2011 at 19:16
I have a small amount of Ivy in my garden. It just comes out from under a small conifer as a bit of ground cover. I keep it under control and don't have any problem with it. This isn't anything to do with Ivy, but can anyone tell me how to propagate from a cherry tree. My father-in-law has one in his garden and the cherries are just lovely. He passed away last month so we would like to be able to have a cutting to keep the tree in the family. If anyone can help I would be most grateful.
16/09/2011 at 20:38
Most of my old battered fence is covered with ivy and we love it. It is the only reason why we have not replaced the fence as all that great ivy would be lost!
17/09/2011 at 07:47
I could write a book about the adventures I have had with ivy in my garden and even house. Yes, it crept in under the tiles to emerge behind the curtains in the lounge! I love it in the garden, however, over my ancient pear tree which still manages to give a great crop, as ground cover, as home for the larva, pupa and imago of butterflies and moths and nesting sites for birds. Variegated ivy climbs up trees in my woodland walk and lightens it. Of course it needs gardening done to it - weeding from borders, trimming away from gutters, but it is easy to pull out and does not sting. And who would be without ivy at Xmas? Good luck with your baby, Kate. Why not feed it with some of your compost and watch carefully as it grows from baby leaves into mature leaves and you may find a stem with both kinds on it and a "teen-age" leaf as well. Now that is exciting gardening!
18/09/2011 at 23:11
I like many others have mixed feelings towards ivy...wildlife just love it as you say Kate and currently the lanes near to me in Somerset are full of bee/wasp/fly covered ivy! Unfortunately for me whenever I handle ivy I come out in an unpleasant rash which doesn't last too long but does make me itch for some time! My compromise is to let a few little self seeders stay but to keep them in check on a regular basis so it doesn't get too big and unmanageable and to a state where I come into too much contact with it!... http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/ Higgy
18/09/2011 at 23:38
I planted about 15 small ivy plants all the way around my garden fence, I think it'll look great and no need for preserg in e few years
19/09/2011 at 01:28
do you have to use fire bricks when you build a bbq pit
19/09/2011 at 12:29
Thanks for all your comments. VP – oh dear, I so sympathise, but I can’t see my ivy taking over while I’m not looking – the garden is too small for me not to notice! Bobnmal – thanks for your suggestion, I have considered Virginia creeper, but its wildlife value is minimal compared to that of ivy, and I really want to use my plants to bring the wildlife in. Donutsmrs – the thing about propagating your father in-law’s cherry tree is that you won’t quite know what you’re getting. Most cherry trees are grown on rootstocks to control their size (they are very vigorous trees), so if you just take a cutting or grow from seed, you could end up with a monster. I think there are companies out there that will graft a cutting (scion) onto a rootstock for you, but I can’t find any details online. You could try phoning Brogdale and asking them if they know of anywhere they would do this. They may even do it for you. Good luck! Happymarion – ivy in the lounge, you should write a book! I think that’s where I would draw the line… And I would love to feed my ivy babies compost, but I'm too afraid to disturb the mouse in the compost bin. Higgy50 – I didn’t know you could come out in a rash from ivy, thanks for the tip Kate
20/09/2011 at 08:17
Thank you Kate for your information about the cherry tree, after reading that we think it may be easier to buy a new tree.
20/09/2011 at 08:28
I have a very large mature Laburnum which is covered in ivy. I have been told differing opinions on whether to try and control the ivy,will the ivy actually kill the tree if left? thank you for your help.
23/09/2011 at 12:55
One of my favourite broomrapes, Orobanche hedera has ivy as its host plant , so look out for this orchid-like, leafless, flower coming up, often yards from the host plant, from April onwards.
24/09/2011 at 13:54
I would love to grow a rambling rose against a wall, covered in pebbledash, but am not too sure how to prune a rambling rose, and how often. I think I would need about 3 plants to cover wall.
26/09/2011 at 21:42
hi iam new to this sight but do i need to cut my ivy right back or just give it a trim its in a container just starting to cliamb my progola
28/09/2011 at 08:56
Elsie123, just cut back any ivy that is jutting out where it shouldn't (trim it)but leave the leading shoot to grow up your pergola. If it is staying in its container you will have to feed it y taking off the top two inches of compost in the spring and replacing with fresh, and remember to keep it watered.
29/09/2011 at 20:39
oh thank you happymarion will take your advise all so can i ask when i have potterd my bulbs up and put them in my green house which are daffs, hyacinths,lillies do i need to water them over winter or just leave them till spring i am new to gardening after having a stroke i have picked gardening up to do to keep me bizzy thanks
07/10/2011 at 16:18
i have a well established ivy hedge and i have recently counted 10 red admiral butterfies on it, the occasional small tortoiseshell, and loads of different bees and hoverfies.So it is a very good late food source for insects.It is also very attractive, but needs keeping in check!
1 to 20 of 21 messages