Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Lifting and dividing

high ive got a nearly pot bound plant called so im told dont know if my uncles having me on ( mother in laws tongue) can i split it now its flowering at the moment sticky sappy flowers

• I have michelmas daisies that have the 'need to be split' look - they are a bit like a fairy ring.
    Can I split these now and how deep are the roots; do I need an earth mover - they have been growing untouched for at least 15 years.
  • today i weeded and turned over the left side of my drive my daffss tulips and hiyasnth bulbs are flowering, but lasy september i made the mistake of planting them in huge clumps so i dug them up and spreaded them out more naturally will this harm them
  • The only plant I have with the tell tale polo effect is a flag iris taht badly needs sorting out. For some reason, all the other big clumps of perennials such as phlomis and assorted lysimachia are more like extra strong mints with no hole and no weakening. They do need a good sorting out but I hate to discard viable plants on the compost.

As for everything else, I am waiting with fingers crossed to see what has survived our several snowfalls and temps down to -25C. It looks like several shrubs are gonners and no doubt the verbenas, assorted penstemons, sedums, clematis and all except the creamy coloured hellebores. and that's not counting teh treasures "weeded" by my husband when I asked him to clear some invading nettles.

One can have too many "planting opportunities" sometimes. I also have a new garden helper in the form of a Tibetan terrier rescue dog who likes to dig the garden just a bit too much.
  • Thanks for the tip about mint. mine is exactly like that.
  • I have just discovered a woderful ball of frog spawn in my tiny lttle pond.What do Ihave to do to maitain them....Plants?
  • My lilac tree has a yellow gold colour mould? Not sure what it is but it is covering a lot of the branches. The tree has just started to bud. Not sure what to do with it or what the problem is? Any help appreciated.
  • Thank you so much for the help on the mint I have my mine in a pot and will get that done as I will need fresh mint for my Pimms and the home growing potatos.

My Hosta is showing shoots out of the ground now and I feel I need to split it. I would like to split the shoots into at least 3 is this possible as the lilac flowers it produces are superb? Do I need to dig the whole plant up and then split accordingly?
  • I have been ill since September, but now am able to get in the garden, i have a climbing rose bought in France so no name - how should i prune it please, ive never had one before, its climbing up my side wall and is in a large urn, up to now its height is about 25 feet high.
  • Is a Blog for questions? Anyway here goes. I live in France and we have a wood burner which is used everyday and evening during the winter. This, of course, creates a great deal of wood ash. Can some one please advise me how much is safe to put on my veg beds.
  • What a lot of questions...
    Carol: Best to mix the ash into your compost heap rather than spreading too much on your vegetables.
    Phippsy: Delighted you are feeling better - try this http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/rose-bush-prune/
    Chilipops: Dig up your hosta, chop it in bits and replant.
    Rosielee: I suspect that your golden mould may be some sort of harmless moss or lichen. If the plant dies then I am wrong and apologise!
    DoveF: Frogs know what they are doing. If they like your pond enough to spawn then you are doing fine. Plants help for general biodiversity and to keep water clean.
    Obelixx: Ah, Tibetan Terriers are not good gardeners, in fact they are not good at doing anything other than exactly what they want! Mine ate an entire beech tree sapling when puppies.
    Garden Mad: It will involve some serious digging but the plant (if not your lower back) will thank you in the end.
    Michael; Mother in Law's tongue is the common name of a Sanseviera. A dead easy houseplant. If you enter that into any search engine you will be swamped with advice.