London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
21 to 33 of 33 messages
20/09/2010 at 14:05
my bees love this tree! I got our 6 acre place 4 months ago and would have cut the two liquid ambers down soonest as they drop lots of really messy leaves ( yes ok they are a beautiful resplendent colour but the japanese maples don't make such a mess )... but they've been spared the execution becos the bees just love them in spring , here in australia , and are already making honey so my Q is - is this why they're really called liquid amber ?
08/10/2010 at 11:27
We are considering planting a Liquidambar in our garden, but we have only shallow soil covering over limestone rock. In addition we are fairly certain that the last tree died from Honey Fungus. Does the Liquidambar have resistance to this disease? I would be grateful for your advice.
18/10/2010 at 08:14
Anne: Liquidambar is resistant to honey fungus (a good list of other resistant trees is available here; http://www.bluebellnursery.com/catalogue/TAGS/%22Honey%20Fungus%20Resistant%22/trees )
31/10/2010 at 14:25
Would a liquidambar thrive or struggle in the Lochcarron area of western Scotland
05/11/2010 at 18:06
We have a liquid amber tree planted about five years ago. When and how should we prune it please?
01/07/2011 at 07:44
In my opinion, these are rampant growing weeds, they dump tons of seed balls for months, invasive roots and shoots come up many feet from the original. These will make enemies of your neighbors. Any colorful fall leaves are not worth it.
23/09/2011 at 11:48
Sounds gorgeous. i've a small garden but would love one. How would i keep it under control to stop it growing too tall and wide, or will it be no good in my garden.
17/10/2011 at 13:16
hi i have just orded this tree im waiting for it to arrive my sister-in-law told me about it....ive orded the one garden's wold recomended...i hope it's as loverly as they say cant wait to get it...
28/11/2011 at 18:37
I'd love one of these trees in my garden as I think they're stunning, but I undestand they like acidic soils and I garden on a soggy, clayey, limey soil :(
25/04/2012 at 09:03

We planted a young liquid amber (not sure of the variety) in our back garden around September last year when it was in full autumn colour and we love it. However, after seeing some comments on other websites and on here we're debating taking it out. 

We've planted it along our fence line which backs onto our neighbours wall and the last thing we want to do is cause damage to their property. We've got other trees along the same bed and they've not damaged anything so we were hoping the same could be said for the liquid amber. Are the roots really that invasive? And is there a way of containing/restricting them?

It seems happy enough although as gardening novices we were also wondering when the leaves would start to appear and when it will flower (it has shoots on it at the minute so we assume it will be some time in May).

Any help would be great.

30/05/2014 at 16:15

I did like the comments about the nectar from liquid amber trees producing honey. I am a beek but have never collected from these trees. I'm now in an area where there are about 60 very mature liquid amber trees along a road. Do they produce a heavy flow? What color is the honey? Will I need many spare frames? I'd really like to know what to expect so any info would be appreciated. Just a quick note, I have used the pods in my smoker and they work really well so this may be another use for them.

Thanks

30/05/2014 at 20:30

We have a mature liquid amber growing in clay that gets waterlogged (water above grass level!) part of the year. I love it. Every year I can't wait to see it change, and never fail to think kindly on the people who planted it 20+ years ago!

28/07/2014 at 08:53

We have had a liquid amber tree in our garden for about 8 years, beautiful tree...sadly  all the leaves have turned brown and curled, is this to do with the hot weather or because in the bad rain and windy weather we had in the winter the tree roots were lifted slightly and we straightened it with ties even though it came out in leaf as normal this year, is the the tree dying?

email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages