London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 44 messages
17/02/2009 at 19:34
I find that all of the smelling manures should be not be allowed in towns as all the street should not need they cleaned washing that has been put out smelling because these manures. Also they bring flies around the area and the smell last for day & weeks. they are soils that are made by local councils that are made from garden cuttings and waste that do same for your plants and do not smell the street out. So think of others and not just your self and buy soils that do not smell other out of they gardens in your towns. They other places which have soils that are clean of big smells and are normaly better for your plants then just manures. So think.
17/02/2009 at 20:47
i think u should not be so snoby there is nuffin rong with a bit of manure its gr8 for the garden and dont smell for long if ur a true gardener then u wounldnt mind then smell!! so y dont u think!!
18/02/2009 at 10:38
I think Alan should read his posts before posting them, it may be easier for others to unerstand, if he had checked the spelling and grammer first!
18/02/2009 at 21:43
I think it was eminent physician George Cheyne (1671-1742) who said something along the lines that the Creator had deliberately made horse dung smell so sweet, because he knew that mankind would oft be in its presence.
19/02/2009 at 19:14
I agree with Jim, but I also think that he should check his grammar and spelling before posting. That first comma should be a semi-colon or even a full stop – in which case, the second comma is redundant. 'Grammer' is mis-spelt and the exclamation mark surely superfluous. Comments on my own syntax,spelling and punctuation will be welcomed in the spirit in which they are (or, indeed, were) intended.
19/02/2009 at 20:07
I agree that Matt should take a course in English Grammar to learn how to spell and how to put a sentence together so that anyone reading it can understand it
19/02/2009 at 20:23
i fink mat is taking the urine out of your compost heep
19/02/2009 at 21:39
Have you thought maybe he is dyslexic and we should get back to gardening. would burnt paper be classed as wood ash, I would like to add burnt paper that originally contained my name and address so that it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.
19/02/2009 at 22:19
thankyou i am
20/02/2009 at 08:49
Oh deep joy! Pedant knows how to use a semi-colon. Very few people do. I'd love to know how on earth even a knowledgeable (and inspirational) gardener like JAS accumulated such in depth knowledge about manure in all it's various guises; clearly he is a pedant in that particular area.
20/02/2009 at 09:54
Come on boys & girls i know i logged on to read about manure but not this kind.Can any one suggest a good manure for my clay plot in Lancs ?
20/02/2009 at 14:01
Grammar and punctuation aside, I always understood that well rotted manure has no particular odour. Certainly the stuff I get from my equestrian school neighbours doesn't pong by the time it's delivered for my use. Nor does it attract flies - which is more than can be said for the piles of smelly bovine waste taken from winter barns and dumped to rot in huge piles in the fields.
20/02/2009 at 14:16
some one must be able to answer my question about burnt paper.
22/02/2009 at 07:54
I buy 25KG bags of 10-12 month old composted manure it smells when you open the bag but you have to be next to it then the smell diffuses over 2-3 day, the best thing is it’s all sterilised and no annoying weeds to suck up all the nutrients. I have a small garden so this is practical for me
22/02/2009 at 10:33
i think you should all just keep to the manure subject, i think that althuogh manure smells it is a great way for helping you garden, but it does attract flies therefor it must attract birds which we do not wish to acompany us!. i also think that alan is over exadgerating. sorry if my spelling is not up to scratch but i am an 11year old boy who has an alotment and is very knowlegable about plant, animals and nature. thankyou
22/02/2009 at 15:48
I have heard somewhere that ash can be used as a fertilizer or with compost. I have an open fire and burn wood and coal on it, would I be able to use this ash? I would like to be able to use it if I can.
22/02/2009 at 16:40
I have used wood ash on our veg patch for the last 10 years, it works well
22/02/2009 at 17:19
First of all, well done Matthew, for having an allotment apart from anything else.... As for ash as a manure, I was told wood or paper ash is good, but coal ash bad for your garden!
22/02/2009 at 17:31
I would also be interested to know if anyone can tell me if the bagged farmyard manures that can be purchased from the local garden/diy centres are as good as the real thing from local farms? I live on a rather "posh" small estate with a relatively small garde and 1/2 ton of fresh manure delivered to the door is just too much for me to use!!!!
22/02/2009 at 17:47
I've got worm poo all over my garden. Is there an effective way of getting rid of it?
1 to 20 of 44 messages