Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Mealybugs

It's useful because from the information about 'Mealy Bugs',I now deduce that my 'Cotoneaster'is NOT infected by THIS pest. I think that the problem is 'Wooly Aphid'.Thanks,so far.

• If you notice mealy bug early enough on your plant, you can use a cotton bud dipped in rubbing alcohol to kill each one. Can be laborious though if there are many.
  • I completely changed the compost and repotted my aloe vera last year after finding these in the compost. I have now found the plant is infested and the base rotted. Can I save the plant and should I give the damaged roots to the birds to feast off them?
  • Dave WoodDave Wood Posts: 2
    So, Gardener's World, you first teach us to attract bees into our gardens and then teach us to KILL THEM by recommending neonicotinoid pesticides to kill mealybugs on our garden plants? Shame on you. The sooner the EU bans these pesticides the better, because we can't rely on this website to act responsibly. And please don't excuse yourselves by saying you're offering a 'choice' to gardeners. You are not informing the gardeners of the proven hazards of neonics, so you are not giving them an informed choice.
  • Gardeners World, I'm shocked that you are diametrically opposite Monty Don's (and the majority of the UK's) opinion of neonicotinoids. Should we really attract pollinators with flowers then kill them with pesticides? I hope you are also pointing out that when applied to food crops these pesticides have a negative effect on brain development in children and the unborn!
  • Dave WoodDave Wood Posts: 2
    Someone just pointed out on twitter that this website recommends bee-killing neonicotinoids no less than 17 times. The bees don't stand a chance.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/search/articles/thiacloprid/