Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Planting out tomatoes

oldchippyoldchippy Posts: 244
Hi Kate that's a gardeners tale woe if ever I heard one.The weather has been so unpredictable this year, let's hope it recover's soon.

Oldchippy.

• I've got exactly the same problem here. Windowsills full of lanky, soft plants that are slowing being attacked by aphids.
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591
    Ah, so that's why my tomato plants went like hotcakes at my Open Day, even after the organiser insisted I put the price up from 30p to 50p! Hard luck, Kate. Perhaps some good friend who lives near can give you some plants?
  • My greenhouse is bursting at the seams waiting for Mr Sunshine x
  • figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I have made a decision to live dangerously tomorrow. I'm going to plant out my courgettes. I've had cloches over their allocated slots for about 6 weeks, and they've spent a few days outside, but are looking a bit bored in their little pots. 5 day Forecast here on southern edge of Dartmoor is for night temperatures no lower than 10C. Dwarf French beans planted out about a month ago are fine, (though have been under cloches every night, and during the day when it has been unspeakably vile). Broad beans which I sowed direct in Feb ( under cloche cover) have been exposed to the elements for a month, and are just showing flower buds. Might plant out runners and climbing French beans too. Not risking the tomatoes though.
  • Here in south bucks I have planted out squash, runner beans and broad beans - all doing fine. All of them were sown in the green house, if I sow direct into the ground the mice eat the seeds. Mark you they still ate some seeds from the pots in the greenhouse. They bit off the 2in growth and either ate the seed or re-buried it in another pot. I had a broad bean in an auricular pot!

That's encouraging Evilstampywoman! Have you had to give them any extra protection?

• ChalkweedChalkweed Posts: 9

Have to admit, I've taken to sowing my toms & peppers (in a propagator) relatively late, i.e. mid-April, then housing them in the greenhouse till the end of May (I grow lots for a village plant sale). BUT this year, they've not grown strongly and are so TINY, I may only be able to charge 25p per plant, which could really impact on the amount we raise for charity - pooh!  

• woody3woody3 Posts: 11
    I have nt seen any aphids yet, but have lots of ladybirds, I wonder if that means we are going to have lots of aphids. I ve planted 2 tomatoe plants outside in a container with a cloche over it. Fingers crossed. Kathleen Woodward
  • sweetpea7sweetpea7 Posts: 2

I live in Shropshire and the overnight  temp is going to be 7 degrees...is that too cold to leave my tumbling toms out?

Have you been hardening them off at all?