London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
21 to 33 of 33 messages
24/01/2011 at 18:09
Spring is springing in Peterborough, I've seen the collared doves in the garden searching thro straw on top of my theoretical veggie patch, with a 'nesting' look in their eyes. The 7ft tall yucca which lay down almost horizontal in the subzero temps is back to its original angle and the daffs are 3 inches high!
24/01/2011 at 19:38
Hello, what shall i do with my brussel sprout stalks, that are still in the ground from summer? Does anyone know if the stalks are Edible ?
24/01/2011 at 21:34
Like every keen gardener i am long awaiting spring and to see my wide variety of beautiful poppys come into flower.I think the harsh weather over the festive season did alot of damage to most gardens including my not very established bay tree that sat potted by my front door most of the leaves have turned a rusty brown colour and its looking rather weatherd as bay trees are hardy i am very baffled by this any advise would be appreciated.
26/01/2011 at 16:21
I too spent a few hours in my garden last weekend, clearing away dead stems in readiness for the spring bulbs. sadly, I think i hve lost several phormiums, and my euphorbia has bee flattened to the ground, although the flowering bracts are still colourful. i am looking forward to getting back into the garden, I am really enjoying Carole Klein's programme from Glebe Cottage. I think she should have been offered the lead presenter's spot on Gardener's World; her enthusiasm and love of plants is inspirational. However, good luck to Monty too.
26/01/2011 at 20:42
we have three large trees in a small garden ash pine and oak.all have a preservation order on them.not having very good health, we find the leaves far to much for us to clear.not getting any help from the people who put them on,can anybody tell me if the leaves that fall onto the garden will do any harm to my plants.as we are cleaning up leaves and pine cones all year long.will the leaves be good for the garden or not.
04/02/2011 at 12:05
Am very jealous of post 21, my daffs are only just showing and I live in the same area! It just goes to show the different micro-climates in different gardens. I did go up a ladder and prune my Wisteria though, so am doing something useful ;0)Carol K is inspiring me...
08/02/2011 at 20:02
I've only a small garden and have lost many plants, previousy hardy here for the last 10 years. My Ceanothus Concha, the pale green Pittosporum and the Clematis napulensis, both grown from from seed. Even the foliage of my rose Mermaid, has had all its shoots frosted off, but will, I hope, survive. Though I grieve their passing, in such a small space it does offer new planting opportunities and a chance to move things round. Gardens (and life) would be boring without change.
01/03/2011 at 14:39
I also find myself in the same situation: preparing the garden for the spring season. Searching the Internet I saw a software that could give me a hand in the design of my green space in the country: it is called Pro-Landscape and saw him after viewing the site Orlandelli.it. Allows you to create photo-realistic simulations, to make plans and get detailed bills of materials and botanical cards. With this software I hope to create a magnificent garden.
11/03/2011 at 13:58
Hurrah ! I resume watching. Welcome back Monte Don
18/03/2011 at 22:32
Hi, can anyone help me please, i bought a williams pear tree last year and planted it in the garden, looks like some new growth coming through after the freezing winter we had here in north east. It stands about 3.5ft tall, with a few twigs sprouted last year, approx 4 inches long. How do I prune it, when and should I prune it this year? I dont want a tall tree, more a bushy type if thats possible. Any suggestions very welcome.
20/03/2011 at 19:04
I have a Torbay Palm that's about 20ft tall. Since the cold weather, all the leaves have fallen and the bottom 3 or 4 foot of truck has gone black. Help, what should I do?
09/04/2011 at 12:14
I too have a Torbay Palm about 10ft tall, and after all the snow that lingered in the midlands area, the leaves have all fallen off, but trunks look fine, should I cut the tree down or leave it to see if any leaves start to form from the bottom of trunk?
28/11/2011 at 18:42
Sarahallen, I think as long as they are removed from grass, they can be left on the soil to rot down. As well as gathering in bags for leaf mould in Autumn, I do a quick rake of the grass every so often and pile them on to the borders, bulbs do eventually find a way through :0)
email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages