London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
14 messages
18/02/2010 at 03:44
I do love ladybirds. There used to be millions of them in Oxford when I was a kid. Seems I never see them at all these days, mind you, I live in North now.
18/02/2010 at 09:51
ON my allotment i use bark for the paths and mulch with grass cutings in places and leaf mould. Last year we had loads and loads of lady bird larvae and the lady birds and this year as iv e started preparing for the growing season i have found lots of hibernating ladybirds ,how do i make sure that they are the native ones and not the ones that are invading us.And if they are the invading ones what shall i do ?
19/02/2010 at 13:55
Some years ago l found some, as l thought then strange insects. They were small purple with orange dots it was not till a few years later l found out they were ladybird lavea. I've never seen them again but l'm putting up a ladybird tower so l'm hoping to see some in the future.
20/02/2010 at 15:53
Wow! I would have been pleased if I was you Richard, there is I often think an irony in wildlife behaviour, what should happen doesn't and the things that we do see are sometimes more unusual. Although I woulld be the first to admit that I would not have recognised your rarity as such!
21/02/2010 at 14:30
Have just found a few ladybirds crawling from crevice in wall in bedroom. What do i do with these that i asume are just waking from hibernating - its snowing and still frosty outside!
22/02/2010 at 08:03
Reply to Flower Girl It's no use persecuting the newcomer harlequin ladybird, Harmonia axyridis. It is firmly established here. Only do something if it starts causing a nuisance by coming indoors. Reply to Jayven If hibernating ladybirds are roused prematurely indoors, often by central heating, catch them and release them into the shed, greenhouse or woodpile. They should quickly settle down again and appear at the right time in spring.
26/02/2010 at 13:03
Would you have any information on the preferred type of microscope for identifying (and photographing) small creatures from the garden?
01/03/2010 at 10:42
Philip Start with a cheap hand lens. This is the one I recommended for BBC Wildlife: http://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Hand-Lenses/Magnifiers-Triplet/Loupe.html A relatively simple stereo microscope is best for looking at insects. x10 and x 30 are perfect. A simple scope is at: http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/stereo-tour.html have a look at the budget and non-zoom ranges. You'll need an adapter to put your camera on the eye-piece. These are only good for looking at dead specimens. For live photographs you should choose a macro lens, and maybe extra flash guns....the range now is enormous. Good luck
14/03/2010 at 12:55
to help ladybirds ect. escape from your green bin, put a stick of wood under the lid to keep the lid from closing completley and they will crawl out
30/03/2010 at 12:11
I have been working in my Garden here in Milton Keynes and have seen many different naitive Ladybirds but not Harlequins, has the good old british winter halted their march accross the UK?
08/04/2011 at 18:17
I found a black ladybird today 8th April 2011. Will it harm the native ones.
11/04/2011 at 07:23
Reply to Worcesterwatcher. Some harlequin ladybirds are almost entirely black, and there is still a worry that they will out-compete, or even eat, native 7-spots. But there are also several native black ladybirds. You can download a ladybird ID sheet at http://www.ladybird-survey.org/ladybirds.aspx
28/11/2011 at 18:40
On holiday in Dorset, on the cliff top near Durdle Door we found two ladybirds that were black with red spots, has anyone else seen these?
30/04/2012 at 22:00
I just found a weird ladybird its brown with black dots and had realy light brown legs i have been told this is the rarest type so im glad i had my camra!
email image
14 messages