Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Rose blackspot

i have a plant i dont realy now wat to do with i just keepcutting it down a few inches it a plant that as lovely pink leave at the top but graduly work its way of to green again it does look nice wen its pink i dont no wat its called or eny thing could u give me some tips thank u

• Having now found the time to spend more time in the garden
    I find this site a great help to me.

The scrap book is a wonderful garden tool on it's own.

Joe. Warks. UK.
  • I have found that roses planted in tubs containers etc,benefit from having pebbles,stones placed on top of the soil to help prevent blackspot and rust does work exceedingly well against these deseases,any falling infected leaves cannot reach the soil top then,try it!
  • I found this article very interesting as I,m new to gardening and especially as i have a great fondness for roses. I,m planning on turning my small front garden into a rose garden, and need suggestions on plants that would make great companions for planting beside my roses as i,m not keen on seeing bare soil and want to add some deph and colour to my garden. Any suggestions?
  • I'm new to gardending so thank you for this tip.
  • I too, have great difficulty with blackspot on my roses. Might I add I'm new to gardening as my husband always did the gardening but he is not in a fit state now and would love to see his roses doing well but I am puzzled as to what to do about blackspot on most of our roses but one in particular is almost bare of leaves with blackspot. what chemical should I use and is it ever possible to rid the roses of it.
    Please advise.
  • I have two roses in tubs and I have been havin trouble with black spot I will put a layer of gravel over the compost as suggested thanks as i never thought of doin that THANKYOU
  • My roses have always had black spot whether in ground or in tubs must be the area. BUT this year i am determined to beat it after spraying with no results.

I am now cutting all leaves with any kind of desease off.

Cutting all branches to the ground after flowering.

Hope this works.
    karen
  • MalChMalCh Posts: 1
    As a mulch as you suggest I take it that a thick layer of Cocoa Shell would also be beneficial and also be good for the soil over the years ?

Mal
  • Sheila 3Sheila 3 Posts: 1
    Some of my roses do not grow well, one is Zepherine Drouhin which I know could be a problem and the other is one I have taken as a cutting. Leaves small and are a amber/red colour. I feed and mulch all the roses but I,m wondering if its a nutrient deficiency, but what?. I,ve even been to the beach recently and collected sea weed in the hope that this year something wonderful will happen, but checking the young growth today it doesn`t look promising. Last year I fed with liquid seaweed and they did appear to perk up for a bit, but then deteriated again.
  • With what fungicide should I spray with to eradicate black spot on roses