London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 12°C
3 messages
31/12/2013 at 20:14
I have a rambling rose that has appeared in my garden and I have let it stay even though I haven't seen it flower. It is already 8ft and climbing through a Rowan. Should I dig up and Chuck out or prune hard?

Happy New year
31/12/2013 at 20:33

Hi Blubell, if you have been there a while and this just appeared in your garden it is almost certainly a wild rose from seed via bird droppings.  The most common one in the uk is the dog rose (Rosa canina.)  It should flower but they don't last long and the hips are it's best feature.  I have them growing in a wild hedge but the prunings are a nightmare to deal with as the thorns are extremely sharp.  If you prune it, it will still grow a couple of metres every year so I would be tempted to remove it unless you have a 'wild' style garden and can put up with such a rampant shrub.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/rosa-canina/500.html

01/01/2014 at 12:37

Thank you Bob. I thought this might be the case. I am tempted to keep it as sometimes naughty people try to take a shortcut through this part of the garden and it would be a deterrent but am not sure if it will be more trouble than its worth as I haven't had any trouble with youths for a few years now the garden is more established.

It's amazing what plants it's self in the garden, last year I had to remove carex pendula.

email image
3 messages