Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
07/03/2012 at 21:04
we have got more slugs than
year than any year before
Ron
08/03/2012 at 19:21

Make yourself a small pond, the frogs will eat them.

09/03/2012 at 08:25
Tried nematodes for the first time a couple of years ago and am now a convert! However, still have the problem of snails which need to be dealt with by hand to shell combat!
09/03/2012 at 19:17
Frogs prefer worms and will not eat large slugs. They hardly dent the slug population in my experience. Poison pellets and going out at night and killing them are the only things that I have found that works.
09/03/2012 at 22:43
i read a great by wellywoman on wordpress about the damage done by slugs in a Coldframe
09/03/2012 at 22:43
i read a great blog by wellywoman on wordpress about the damage done by slugs in a Coldframe
10/03/2012 at 22:33
I cleared out last remaining old fallen leaves today from backs of beds / hard to reach places and there were small (baby?) slugs under virtually every other leaf. They were also hidden under heuchera leaves and primroses. Hopefully I made a dent in the population - I must have picked up 200 of the horrible things!
11/03/2012 at 16:50

Adopt a hedgehog from your local R.S.P.C A they are always looking for people who have secure gardens for blind or injerd.

11/03/2012 at 20:56

I have enormous quantities of slugs and so I plant plants that the slugs will not affect too much. I know that I cannot hope to dent the slug population - even by encouraging blackbirds which is my prefered option. When I love a plant that is slug susceptible like asters I spend a lot of time putting crushed eggshell round them and there is an equivalent rock you can get from the garden centre. Not perfect but helps. Pots help too - but slugs can climb.

11/03/2012 at 22:58

I have occasionally seen a hedgehog in our garden, but not for three or four years now.  How can one encourage them to hang around?  Don't want to leave out food, as we also have urban foxes, numberless local cats and the dreaded rats!

Ron
12/03/2012 at 06:43

I didn't know that frogs don't eat 'large slugs'  hopefully the frogs won't allow them to get large. I live of clay land and when I came here 30yrs ago I used to fill buckets of those 'orrible big black ones. since making two fairly large ponds I hardly ever see one. I suppose it could be coincidence or some other reason but I'm happy with my ponds.

13/03/2012 at 08:50
we ahve 3 cats...2 long hair cats. and our "old man" is always bringing things!! in on the under side of his tail!!!! We have told him to check the ground before sitting down but he desn't seem to hear us. Pauline. Pembrokeshire.
13/03/2012 at 13:09

I agree with Ron - I get less slugs since the ponds - perhaps the birds come to drink and then stay for a snack?

13/03/2012 at 17:50

Put out a jar of beer the slugs will love this and die happy Hic Hic!

19/03/2012 at 20:23
I have discovered a organic way to keep slug and snails off plants and seedlings. Keep your teasels and put them around your plants. If you cant get teasels try using ladys hair rollers [the self grip type] they come in different colours so you might be able to get brown that wont look odd. I got teasels from a dried flower arrangement.cheers Ann
DAT
19/03/2012 at 20:52

walk around the garden and notice anything laying there, old wood , rubbish, odd stones lift and you wil find slugs snails and creepy crawlies to remove    garden horrors love decaying wood and rubbish to hibernate in over the winter

05/04/2012 at 17:26
Nematodes........... reads like something from Jules Verne or John Wyndham, The day of the Nematodes ! I really think that the only good these critters do is line the pockets of the breeders of these so called voracious things. They last for a short time, cost a fortune to have any effect on a patch of allotment, and then one has to start all over again ! I have tried my own system, to broadcast slug pellets over a legume patch, rake it it well, and the molluscs go for it UNDERGROUND, leaving it safe for the birds, hedgehogs and wotnot that patrol of an evening. Better still, DIG the pellets in deeper than a raking !
10/05/2012 at 11:18
In this months Gardeners World a reader suggested using newspaper instead of straw under strawberries to keep slugs off. Has anyone tried this, and doesn’t it go soggy.
10/05/2012 at 11:42

we have had many more snails and slugs this year than ever before..snails especially.. but i habe couple of thrushes in the garden so they eat them.. i just put them outon the path for them to find.

slugs.. i was told only the brown ones are what eat yor plants.. not the black ones.. i do not know if this is right.

10/05/2012 at 11:43

thou must admit hubby this year as put a ring of copper round the top of the veg raised bed..s othe blighters cant get across to eat our stuff.. is working so far.

1 to 20 of 29 messages