London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
16 messages
01/01/2008 at 00:00
Well some interesting comments above, I have had huge problems with my potted herbs especially the tender leaves of my basil... which have now been consumed by an army of snails. I have put copper round the pots, but this has not stopped the little buggers and have now resorted to extermination... its either my tender young cabbages or the snails!

I'm going to try scraping a decent slice of topsoil of the the edges where they seem to congregate in the hope of destroying or certainly disarming the hidden problem of snail eggs. I'll let you all know if it helps.

15/07/2008 at 11:22
I have had a lot of slug and snail damage to my crops this year on my allotment. I tried egg shells and coffee grounds, but in the end I had to use slug pellets . I tried to buy organic pellets from a local garden centre but was told they did not stock them. On one of the Gardeners World programms Monty Don told us about some pellets which were Organic and they were advertised in the magazine. So I rang up the company and ordered some. So far they seem to be working, as the plants I have treated with them are still going strong. Thank you Monty. Eve.
15/07/2008 at 16:39
I too have problems with slugs + snails, as i have a lot of frogs in the garden which i love dearly, i can't use pellets as i don't want to poison the wildlife! so i go out at dusk, or later with a torch and hand pick all the slugs + snails and each night there are dozens of them and they seem faster then too, i find them munching on my lily flowers and my Dalilas. at this time all the frogs are out as well. magical!!
15/07/2008 at 18:52
I throw mine onto the garage roof so that the birds can get them!
16/07/2008 at 21:19
This last month snails and slugs have reeked havoc in my garden eating most the leaves of my sunflowers giant singles,they've stripped them bare from bottom to top at first i tried beer traps but they just turned their noses up at the offer then i bought pellets still to no avail,they seem to weave in a out of like michael schumaker on a race track knowing were every obstacle is then i just try to slow them down by putting them in the middle of my tonne bag of sand i have left over from my patio but they seem to think its a game and play leep frog over each other can someone help
21/07/2008 at 10:36
My garden is overrun with snails and slugs. They seem to be able to parachute into plants like tradescantia and hostas despite all my efforts to set up barriers! I heard recently that there is a shortage of snails in France and that they are missing their favourite gastronic delight. Is there an address I could send my supply to?
23/07/2008 at 13:26
I agree with Richard and others. You have to be pragmatic - if the choice is between plants and snails use pellets But like most things in life there is no right answer I use a combination of hand picking and targeted use of pellets ( you need many just in the right place)
30/07/2008 at 12:04
We have troughs attached to the wall with brackets, we put grease around the brackets, so all our vunerable plants stay protected, it seems to work! The same with the haning baskets, we grease the bracketa that are holding them up. My five year old son has just comments he likes slugs as birds like to eat them, so there you go!
30/07/2008 at 13:41
I had the pleasure of watching a young thrush in my garden this morning eating a snail. Plants that are more prone to snail/slug damage such as hostas, I tend to keep in pots on an area of gravel. Otherwise I try to let nature keep the balance (although the mouse that ate my lily bulbs sorely tested my tolerance)!
30/07/2008 at 18:14
Hi, I have been having trouble with slugs this year, and recently a Hedgehog somehow has come into my walled garden, which has considerably reduced the population of slugs and snails. Can you advise me please how to care for the Hedgehog, can we feed them, to encourage them to stay in my walled garden over winter?.
31/07/2008 at 12:28
Hi Dave, the important thing to remember with hedgehogs is to not give them milk, it dehydrates and kills them. They do like cat and dog food, but this can turn them into fussy eaters and stop them from feasting on your slugs and snails! The best thing to do is leave a dish of water for them at all times, and consider investing in, or making a hedgehog shelter for them to hibernate in over the winter months (if you do it now it will give the hedgehog time to get used to it and make it more likely that it will move in over winter - and then to have babies in the spring!). You can buy special hedgehog food to leave for it over winter, and the British Hedgehog Preservation Society is a good place to start when dealing with sick, injured or underwight hedgehogs. Good luck! Kate
06/08/2008 at 19:12
Since I have been feeding the local hedgehog population the number of slugs and snails have dropped noticeably. The most important time to feed the hedgehogs is through any dry spell, with chicken dog/cat food (dry or tinned). Then they will show their gratitude by eating your garden pests in the damp weather.
08/08/2008 at 01:07
Great to read about the nasty slugs and snails, but what I really need to know is , are they a danger to pet rabbits ? slugs seem to get into our pet rabbits hutch. are they a danger to her,will they make her ill?
23/08/2008 at 11:00
Can anybody tell me if snails are beneficial in any way? I've read that snails do not like rough surfaces but they leave their trails on my gravel, and I have found one right up on my Velux windows. (My bungalow/house is reversed accommodation). This means they must have climbed up the walls which are rough-cast. They are God's creatures and I am loath to kill them, but my drive-way is covered with them at night. Help!!!!
28/11/2008 at 20:40
Here`s another one with a snail problem. Have to say firstly, I don`t like them at all, and this is mainly because last year,when I moved into my ground floor flat, I bought a set of 3 planters, filled each with lovely plants and located them outside / underneath my (very low) windows. Some weeks later and to my dismay, the planters were filled with snails / slugs? I`m not too certain which! and they had eaten away all my lovely plants! Not only that, I have had them crawling up my windows and even on a couple of occasions, they have come into my flat through an open window. They climbed more than approx. 7ft and I was most surprised to see them there. I resorted to the blue pellets-I`m too scared of them to pick them up-and I`m wondering if, now the weather has turned a bit colder, I will I have some respite from them? I`m really only a beginner gardener, and it was most disheartening to see my initial efforts had gone to waste in this way, but these snails / slugs have really been problematic. I ended up throwing all my plants away and making do with artificial plants in my planters. It`s not however, the same as having real plants, but I`m really reluctant to have them and face the same problems once again. Have you any suggestions as to how I can prevent any snails and slugs returning please? I`m at a loss to know what to do and any advice would be very much appreciated thank you.
28/11/2011 at 18:36
Hi Have just bought a new build house and would really appreciate some advice from you on how I can make a garden out of an area that is just full of bits of hardened cement/bricks and other rubbish, they developers put on a layer of top soil which is just clay (to say the least)the ground is spongy when I walk on it and as the house was only finished about month ago garden hasnt found it's level I think. Help...
email image
16 messages