London (change)
Today 23°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 13°C
9 messages
23/12/2009 at 13:53
Q. What do you call a spider egg in a Christmas cracker? A. Lost
23/12/2009 at 19:33
All our spiders seem to have run for the bathoom vents and are now having a Christmas party in the house. I am not keen on spiders but even I haven't the heart to throw them out in this weather. I wish the website had something topical to help those of us battling the snow. After such a long, cold week my borders are peculiarly flat. All my hebes and an old privet hedge at the back have all completely collapsed under the snow. Pieris and azaleas look all limp. Almost everything else has disappeared to ground level under the white stuff but as they are mostly perennials I'm hoping most will come back next spring. At least I managed to get my pots into the garage. I'm hoping the snow will help insulate against the even colder night temperatures- or is that just an old wives tale?
27/12/2009 at 11:23
I seem to get gargantuan monster-like spiders in the greenhouse. I am really scared of them, but I leave them be. If I put them out, they might make their way into the house ..........
27/12/2009 at 16:29
I too went out with food and water for the birds in my (rural)garden. The footprints in the snow indicated that a whole lot of creatures visited, not just birds. Animals that we never normally spot left tracks behind. The little muntjac deer, fox, hares and rabbits, also, heaven help us, a rat or two from the fields. Even rats have to make a living in hard times, and country rats don't seem as horrid as sewer rats.
28/12/2009 at 15:41
when I went down to dig up some artichokes today I discovered the badger had been marching about on the previously dug soft soil before it refroze and left his footprints. Normally we only have the distruction of things to prove he's been through, not actual foot marks. However, like my husband he won't dig up artichokes. (Nor do the rabbits).
29/12/2009 at 18:50
One corner of my sitting room ceiling did not get it's usual pre-Christmas dusting this year - why? a lingering guest has made itself comfortable there. The only time I move spiders out of my house is when they persist in scampering across my floors and are in danger of getting squished so I vacate them to the shed. Your cracker joke - you really had to dig for that punch line!!
05/01/2010 at 10:37
I don't think people are taking my cracker plea seriously. Luckily, whilst researching an article for BBC Wildlife, I've come across a neat mollusc joke. If a male slug is called a Slim, what do you call a female slug? A Slur.
05/02/2010 at 20:48
just to say I was working in the garden today near Pewsey and a lone bee joined me for a few minutes, it was sunny at the time. I hope it made back safe to the hive for a few more weeks hibernation.
28/11/2011 at 18:40
I don't know any garden jokes, sorry to say. But I do enjoy reading your blog! I always learn something, and come away with a much greater appreciation of the smaller inhabitants of our gardens. We just don't hear enough about bugs!
email image
9 messages