1 to 20 of 21 messages
25/02/2009 at 16:31
That is very scary! I have to say, good for the garden or not, I am pleased that I have not come across one in my compost bin.
25/02/2009 at 18:10
I have to admit i am not the greatest fan of spiders, ive actually never come into contact with a spider over the size of a couple of centimeters. I didnt realise they bite, even more of a reason for me to keep a distance. I was quite shocked I have to admit when I read your blog!
25/02/2009 at 19:02
Huh, I'm glad to say I haven't come across any in my compost bins, although I regularly have them chasing me across the living room floor. Scary
25/02/2009 at 19:54
Hee hee, I quite like the house spiders, although I have to admit to subtly lifting my feet onto the sofa if I see one scurrying across the floor! But then one of my cats will usually spot him and I then regain my courage and try to encourage the spider into a safe place (I'm sure my cats belong to a subspecies - maybe "Felis catus insectivorous"?!)
25/02/2009 at 20:51
Reply to Jamie and others. Please do not worry about spiders biting you. First, all spiders bite. Second, all spiders are venomous — that is how they kill their invertebrate prey. But third and MOST IMPORTANTLY, only a handful of UK spider species have fangs large enough and long enough to bite through thick and tough human skin. Spiders will only try to bite if picked up between finger and thumb. But even then most just cannot get their jaws open wide enough. Its a bit like you trying to bite a chunk out of the floor. If you feel unhappy about letting a spider walk across your hands, use an upturned glass and a piece of card slipped under it. Let it go in the compost bin.
26/02/2009 at 07:16
Having lived in Australia for several years most of it in rural and outback parts I have become, necessarily, used to the joys of a wide variety of spiders. The huge stripey legged, banded huntsman (Isopeda insignis) was a regular and welcome visitor keeping the swathes of mossies to a minimum. The smaller red back spider (Latrodectus hasseltii) was not such a welcome sight and had almost all swerving to avoid it or leaping for a weapon to dispatch it. So, now home, I am delighted with the smaller less poisonous varieties although friends are sometimes confused as to why I don't sweep them away from ceilings and corners in the house. I suppose I am still in 'mossie mode' where a local arachnid will keep the population of nasty little biters DOWN!
27/02/2009 at 09:04
Thank you for such an interesting blog! Now I know the name of the spiders in my shed. What is the name of the lovely 'tabby' ones that make their webs in shrubs?
27/02/2009 at 14:17
In reply to Jamie, all uk spiders bite but it is just that our skin is too thick for the majority to penetrate
27/02/2009 at 16:05
27 Feb saw a huge wild bee this morn, First one this year in mansfield, notts.
27/02/2009 at 20:48
Yes all spiders are venomous and bite but the ones in the UK have fangs which open side to side, much like a crabs claw, and can not open far enough to grip and puncture human skin. Unlike the Tarantulas with large powerful downward stabbing fangs. Saying all this my brother when small was bitten on the shoulder by a jumping spider, but didn't turn into ''SPIDERMAN'', shame!
28/02/2009 at 21:39
I quiet like spiders too,anyway if a ladybird can bite and really hurt I don't see why any one would think a spider couldn't bite, although I have never been bitten by one, had a funny thing happen when a spider was sitting on my table and I took a glass into the room to deposit him out side in, I as a joke said to him to jump in the glass and he did, still laughing about it.
02/03/2009 at 21:31
spiders are not that bad.i like tham as long as they don't clime on to me then i a fine with them
03/03/2009 at 13:35
All care for are my plants which trap and eat them all. www.insectivorousplants.co.uk see more details here.
03/03/2009 at 17:24
I do not mind spiders in the greenhouse as they are doing a great job in pest control however, I shuddered year before last when I had an infestation of spider mite. There were still some minor infestations on several plants last year. Since then I have disinfected the green house, creosoted the wood, all the plants were left out in pots until the 1st autumnal frost then brought back in. All my canes and wooden shelving has been burnt on the bonfire and metal shelving disinfected. I now worry everytime I see a thick mesh of webbing on a plant in case it is re-occurring. Have you any suggestions on what further I can do? Thank you
04/03/2009 at 07:14
Since the weekend there has been loads of frogspawn in our small pond. Unfortunately we have had a light dusting of snow overnight and more snow and frost is expected over the next few days. Is there anything we can do to protect the frogspawn against frost?
04/03/2009 at 08:05
Replies Grannyanne. Not sure about tabby spiders. The usual orb-web spiders on garden shrubs are the common garden spider, Aranaeus diadematus. Try http://www.gardensafari.net/pics/spinnen/araneus_diadematus_ha0_2027.jpg Gill. There is some advice at http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_and_diseases/nonflash_index.shtml?two_spot_spider_mite Good luck. Mvairi Lynch. Although frost and ice may cover the surface of the pond, the water lower down is a few vital degrees above freezing, so some of the spawn should survive.
05/03/2009 at 16:15
Reply for Grannyanne - Fri 27th Feb. The 'Tabby' spiders that you find are likely to be a common garden species often called orb web spiders - Araneus diadematus. These beautiful creatures vary in colour from grey-brown to reddish brown with a pattern of dots and streaks on the abdomen that forms a distinct cross. They can grow up to 12 mm. I love them too.
22/02/2010 at 12:33
Is there any way of keeping spiders out of our green houses? we have de-clutered but they still persist on coming in. I have a terrible phobia of them, and I do worry this will with hold me from my career as a gardener plus my partner can't keep running out every time!? What can I do?
01/03/2010 at 10:34
Reply to LN Sorry to hear you do not like spiders. The only way to keep them out of the greenhouse is to seal it hermetically. This will do nothing for what you are growing in there. You could try putting net screens over the windows and vents, but I suspect they will still crawl in under the door. Spiders do no harm in the garden or to you. You can get battery-powered suck-up-and-hold spider removers; like a mini-vacuum cleaner but you release them unharmed out doors. If you can get over your phobia enough to get close, then a glass tumbler and index card plop-over and scoop-up method is easiest. You do not have to pick up spiders in bare or gloved hand. The best way to get rid of a fear of anything is to study them. Buy a book on spiders, learn all about their web-building and other habits, watch them, from afar, then closer as they build their aerial silk snares. When you first get into the greenhouse, actively look for and find them, then they will not startle you when you suddenly notice them out of the corner of your eye. Good luck.
16/02/2011 at 14:39
i like spiders
1 to 20 of 21 messages