1 to 20 of 21 messages
07/05/2009 at 19:57
I planted strawberries in a hanging basket, so far so go they have actually got fruits on them, hope they survive. I have others dotted arround but the basket is hanging in a tree, keeping fingers crossed.
07/05/2009 at 20:12
Last year I bought 3 garlic heads and 6 strawberry plants from the garden centre. This year I have 30-odd garlic plants and about 15 strawberry plants from plantlets. The strawbs even self-planted between the slabs in my compost area so I could consider them weeds! Nice problem to have though. Can't believe I complained about the price when I bought them ha ha.
08/05/2009 at 19:18
i planted earlys mids and late and perpetuating strawberries last year and pulled all the flowers off. This year i have plants 4x the size, they are full of strawberries. early this year when i tidied them up i cut off about 200 new plants fom the 36 i planted, now the neighbours all have strawberries too. I have laid down straw to keep the fruit off the ground and will apply nets as the fruit starts to advertise. looking forward to freshly picked ones.
08/05/2009 at 22:33
So jc, the nets are to keep the birds off? I didn't have trouble with this last year (first year of growing) but I DID have trouble with my little dog gnashing a bite out of each fruit on each plant once hubby had shown her how tasty they were!! Might have to dog-proof them this year. :0)
10/05/2009 at 10:50
I have some strawberries but are currently not growing at flowers. We planted them last year. Does anyone have a answer to my problem??? Oh and I am 11 years old.
10/05/2009 at 12:16
hi, im new to this how do you cut the runners to grow more plants, thanks .
11/05/2009 at 12:21
Good to hear so many strawberry growers out there ! Strawberry plants with few or no flowees, might simply be too small or young, a very late variety, perhaps in a cooler than average climate, but low flowering may also suggest too much nitrogen ie soil too rich or too much manure, try feeding with a tomato fertiliser. And strawbs in baskets, fine, but definitely harder to get a heavy crop - use a big basket and keep them really well watered and fed and you will increase the crop ! good luck!
11/05/2009 at 13:57
Some great tips on strawberry growing Pippa - many thanks. I have been and checked all of mine for black centres but they seem O.K! Looking forward to the 1st ripe fruits very soon. Yummy
13/05/2009 at 21:16
Hi pippa,ive heard that you should replace your strawberry plants after a couple of seasons.Is this true?if so,why?thanx
15/05/2009 at 10:12
Hi pippa, Great to contact you. I read lots of your things when I was still living in Israel. I was a successful garden designer there. I moved to the UK nearly 2 years ago and since started to develop and import few great products for gardening. All made from recycled materials and to solve help in popular situations. I invested all of what we had in these ideas, and so happy to get so many posiyve feedback from customers. Many said that I should contact BBc. ( as It is a bit difficult to get out there). I do not want to look like spam so I will not leave my web details. Nut please can anyone there contact me. plantsfromzion@gmail.com lots of thanks ofer
15/05/2009 at 20:58
hi they can cut them back in windown give them good feed grow big
16/05/2009 at 20:13
Can you cover strawberries with netting when the plant is flowering or do you need to wait until the fruit appears?
28/05/2009 at 11:02
Hi, I recieved a present of some strawberry plant and have no idea what make they are.They were almost dead when I recieved them and now they are growing flowers...they looked as though they were a cutting. if so when should I expect the first fruits on them? Thanks
02/06/2009 at 07:04
I planted some broccoli (normal variety as per supermarket!)in Mrach they've grown lovely, but, the seed heads are about 1 inch in diameter and are now starting to sprout long thin seedy heads instead of nice normal compact ones, should I be thining the outer leaves off, they started off so well!!
04/06/2009 at 13:23
I've had a strawberri plany for the 2nd year the plant is growing, very healthy looking, big many flowers but I haven't had any strawberries yet.?
14/06/2009 at 19:30
I picked up 5 Tarpan Stawberrie plant from a local store this late spring and the plants are beautiful and sending out runners. Do you pick the flowers off the first year like other strawberries or let them be?
30/06/2009 at 19:48
I would like to grow some Camarosa but can find no cuppliers in UK. I live in Devon with its mild climate and they would live under MH lamp during dark winter months. Where can I buy the plants? Any advice?
03/07/2009 at 12:32
hi i have some gooseberry bushes with like a mould on this wipes off but i wondered what to do to stop this ?
30/05/2010 at 14:31
Hi I live in southern Spain and although we can buy strawberry plants, I would love some of the English varieties. I have been searching for about 5 years now and no one will post them out to Spain, does anyone know why?
07/06/2010 at 11:42
Hi The restriction is all likely to be linked with serious potential plant health issues ie the likelihood of pathogens or pests being moved from one country to another. So, irritating as it may seem, it is all for a very good reason I suspect! PG
1 to 20 of 21 messages