London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
61 to 79 of 79 messages
29/05/2011 at 20:21
I have a fifty year old wisteria covering the front of my house with three separate trees. The left hand one has developed a withering and curling of the leaves after it flowered though the leaves are still green. The other two trees still look normal and all three tres, as far as I can see are still putting out the new tendrils typical of this time of the year. I will search for the small exploding bug and report back.
22/06/2011 at 16:51
This is now 2011 - and my wisteria (growing brilliantly for 8 years) has done exactly what 'Dave's did in 2009. It flowered abundantly but didn't appear to put on much growth. The leaves then started to look wilted as though it lacked water - despite endless rain. They are now turning crispy and I expect, will shortly fall off. Has anyone any suggestions as to the likely cause? We generally adopt an 'organic' approach and the only feed that the wisteria has had for about 5 years is diluted 'worm juice'. However, this year, due to my absence, it has had almost none of that. Any ideas??
26/06/2011 at 12:20
After a good bloom in spring, my Wisteria's leaves have all shrivelled and fallen off. What is wrong with it? Is it because of the long dry spell we've had? The trunk is set into resin flooring, so it has been very difficult to water (we moved in 6 months ago and the flooring was already down). Any help to why it has deteriorated would be appreciated.
30/06/2011 at 15:36
It's the same story here in Cheshire. Our previously superb 18 year old wisteria bloomed normally in May but was weak in producing foliage thereafter. Since then most of the leaves have been small, have withered and dropped off. The plant is now almost wholly denuded. Enquiries of our gardener and the reputable nursery which supplied it have produced sympathy but only basic care advice, which has been observed anyway during its whole life. What on earth is the matter and what can we do, other than wait and see what happens next season? All indications are that if nothing is done it will then be too late.
04/07/2011 at 19:46
its the same old story its happened to my wisteria planted two plants one white and one blue , this year both flowered wonderfully and then full of leaves and for some reason the leaves are shrivelling and dying on just one of them !
05/07/2011 at 07:32
Hi, same story here in Luxembourg. Wisteria leaves dried up, turned crispy and dropped off. very sad
09/07/2011 at 20:54
Have a Wisteria 20 years old always pruned regularly as it grows across living room window and had healthy blooms this year. From early June leaves looked as if they needed watering urgently even though we had plenty of rain, and have now curled, dried and completely dropped of and plant is bare in this short time.Surely somebody knows what the reason is? I will prune it back to near the ground and pray for growth next year.
10/07/2011 at 13:13
Same problem as discussed, planted 2 wisteria side by side late last summer and they both survived the terrible winter and shot up in spring. Now one of them has started to lose its leaves through them wilting, turning brown, going crispy then falling off. Only one though?? No sign of bugs,disease or any other ailments. Is ther anybody out there with any answers before its too late!!!
11/07/2011 at 15:36
Perhaps this is like the life cycle of the Bamboo, and it is the mother plant somewhere that has died off. I have the same experience here in Southern Washington State. Planted 2 wisteria about 10 feet apart 6 years ago. One is doing fine and the other suddenly looks like it's dead... In the space of a few days. The plant has already put up a new shoot which seems to be doing fine, but the main plant just withered. I will continue to watch until I'm sure the main plant is dead, then I will do some exploratory surgery. I'm curious to see if any green remains in any part of the main plant as the summer proceeds.
12/07/2011 at 11:31
Same experience here in Bolton! 9 year old tree on the front of house, south facing. Flowered in spring but no leaves or very few. Once the flowers dropped, the few remaining leaves dried up and dropped off. The whole tree now appears woody & lifeless. A couple of box type bushes around the base have also lost their leaves. Could it be down to frost, snow or dreaded vine weevil? I think the latter. More investigation needed.
24/07/2011 at 12:51
I have a sorry wisteria also. Small shrivelled flowers dopped off quickly and small pale leaves the plant is 10 years and properly watered this never happened before.
19/08/2011 at 13:54
hi the same thing happened to my wisteria. 1 year ago I planted 3 young plants about 4 feet tall and which had flowered in their pots along a south facing back wall. They were doing really well and flowered this year and then drastically 2 of them dried up and the leaves fell off. There had been quite a lot of wind. I mulched with some compost and fed them with some general purpose feed and left them - watering twice a week. About 6 weeks later (last week) they have come back very vigorously - I guess the root system was still in good order. Leaves are a bit yellow at the moment if anyone could help me with that. Christo
28/11/2011 at 18:38
Did you check the roots? It may not be in a pot but if the soil is dry then could vine weevil grubs be a possibility?
10/03/2012 at 17:07
I have a ten year old wisteria that until last year was very healthy and vigorous, last year one by one the leaves went yellow and fell off and the long vines seemed to die off, now its barely alive, only a few vines coming directly from the ground survive, I am completely stumped, I live in Italy and the soil is heavy clay.
11/03/2012 at 21:25

I have just read all the posts, some going back a few years, and everyone no matter from which country be it the US or France, Luxemburg or italy has the same story of dying wisteria, maybe its a worldwide problem, maybe its a new disease or insect, i wish someone could give us some answers.

14/03/2012 at 15:03

Hi

Most wisterias are cultivars grafted onto a rootstock. One of the tutors on my RHS course advised me that these grafts can suddenly start to fail even on mature plants. As the graft fails you will start to see the symptoms many of you have described and suckers growing from the base are also a sign that the graft may be failing.

Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do to cure the problem. If you get fresh growth from the base of the plant this should grow healthily but remember it won't be the same variety as your original plant. It should be vigorous but may not have the same flowering properties (colour, scent etc).

28/03/2012 at 13:16
March 28,2012. Columbus, Ohio Zone 6a. I have 3 Wisterias, one is Japanese, and yes I regret planting 3 but one was a gift. I don't have the heart to dig one up and give it away, they are doing so well.

Two of the three are full of bud flowers! I am so excited however after the freeze 2 nights ago, the Japanese has a lot of droopy buds and one fell off. I am devastated needless to say.

Is there anything I can do going forward to prevent losing more buds/blooms on the Wisterias going forward? I am afraid we may lose the plant all together, is that possible for an established Wisteria?
Columbus has had a crazy Spring, high 70's low 80's and then back to normal in the 50's, with a freeze the other night.

Thanks,
Susan
21/06/2013 at 19:34
I'm experiencing the same problem with my wisteria, now about 10 years old. It flowered normally this year, but leaf growth has been somewhat less than usual and there has been some minor die-back on a few branches. Today I noticed the leaves are drooping and there's been a lot of leaf drop. Last summer the tree on the road in front of the house was cut down due to disease; I was not told what disease, but I was shown a lesion at the base of the trunk. It looked like the typical phytophthora symptom. Could there be a connection?

CM of Westcliff-on-Sea
26/06/2013 at 09:51

Our  huge (20x40 feet), rampant, thriving, prolifically flowering wisteria, that has been in situ against a south facing house wall in very sandy, poor soil for eight very successful years has suddenly wilted, shrivelled and dropped all its leaves. Help! I've tried barrel loads of water to no avail and I can find no signs of bugs or pests. What can we do? 

email image
61 to 79 of 79 messages