London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
21 to 28 of 28 messages
15/11/2012 at 00:01

I don't grow stuff like cabbage and cauli, caterpillars love them and they take up far to much room. I keep saying I won't grow Brussels again, grew them this year and the caterpillars had a feast.

In  GH -Peppers were a disaster but there's still one plant left with large green peppers on, they refuse to go red...I live in hope.... Aubergines did well, there were a lot of medium sized fruits on about four plants.Chillies did well too.    

15/11/2012 at 05:14

I had 3 grafted aubergines in the greenhouse and they were brilliant but the ones grown from seed were rubbish

Peppers were rubbish ,chillies o.k and tomatoes had a much smaller crop than usual

I grew 1 grafted tomato plant but can't say it was any better than the ones I grew from seed

Pam LL x

18/11/2012 at 20:55

I was a bit too enthusiastic this year, sowed tomatoes, peppers, aubergines etc. nice and early, then the weather changed and most were a waste of time. I did get some chillies though. My garden is rubbish, north-east facing, so depressing and I seem to have had my clay soil replaced by mucky slop,  yuk! 

16/01/2014 at 22:44
I've always experienced similar problems with brassicas but so far I've refuse to give up on growing them. My partner even now refuses to eat broccoli grown in the summer as there have been a few mishaps with caterpillars appearing on the plate. i may try and stagger it this year so I get some late and then some early the following spring. This should avoid the peak of the dreaded cabbage white but we'll see how it goes.

http://thehilltopgardener.blogspot.co.uk/
Lyn
17/01/2014 at 09:00

With all the talk of veg being eaten by catterpillars, all you need to do is put net over them. Amazon sell a huge roll very reasonably priced, last for years if you are careful.

16/08/2014 at 19:12
i have some black tomatoes plants when do I no when to pick them
KEF
17/08/2014 at 08:35

Eric I've never grown black ones, but can you tell by feeling the tomato    and give it a little twist and if it comes off easily it should be ripe.

Would be interested to hear what you think about the taste.

18/08/2014 at 11:59

Ok ill try that let u no what they taste like KEF

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages