London (change)
Sat 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
13/03/2008 at 16:40
Could you be persuaded to list your 5 favourite very, very small trees sometime? Very small being up to 3 metres tall.
10/04/2008 at 11:17
I have a sapling almond tree which I grew from a seed nut brought from Spain about three years ago. It is about four foot tall and in a container. It seemed very happy for a while, but now it's getting very thin and 'woody' looking, particularly on the side not facing the sun (it's a walled garden facing east I'm afraid) and some of the leaves fall off easily. There is new growth at the bottom, but it just doesn't look happy. I put bubble wrap around around the container to keep the roots warm which seemed to help for a time, but wonder what I should do next? Help please!
14/04/2008 at 15:36
Hi Louise, most likely is bad drainage. Almonds do not like to have wet feet. Might be worth repotting with lots of grit - this will also give you a chance to make sure that it is not pot bound.

Also, if it is looking better on one side than the other try rotating the pot occasionally so that each side gets an equal helping of light and sunshine. Hope that helps a bit.

18/04/2008 at 09:54
Ref: Almond sapling (as above) Thanks so much for your earlier advice, have now spotted some new leaves that have a white mottling effect and even curling slightly in some places. I thought this might be due to pink aphids which I've been dealing with, but someone else thinks this could be red spider mite? Thanks again, Louise BP
11/05/2008 at 09:56
Yesterday I planted a sorbus aucuparia and a eucalypus gunni next to each other infront of our fence to use as a screen. I am unsure about how far apart should they be planted and how far away from the fence? Could you advise me, please. Denise
25/08/2008 at 10:00
hi there i am trying to take cutting from a butterfly bush whats the best method to do this thanx jinty
27/08/2008 at 11:55
They are pretty simple. In the Autumn (which is disturbingly close at hand) take sections of wood about the thickness of a chopstick and about 30cm long. Cut just below a bud. Plant the stick in a corner of the garden with about half underground. Go away and come back in a year.
29/09/2008 at 21:05
I like this list and have a challenge for you ... I have a courtyard, paved, on top of a thickish concrete base, on top of nice sandy loam probably very compacted as it was a farmyard, and I would like to plant a small tree in a 1m wide hole through the concrete. will any small trees like my courtyard or will they give up the ghost and stop growing when they try to get their roots under the concrete? I am very keen to try the Prunus autumnalis for its dappled shade or possibly an amelanchier. I would love some advice.
14/10/2008 at 12:32
i read about louise's problems with her almond tree. i have one that is doing quite well but i am not sure about pruning. could you give me some advise on this matter please.
14/10/2008 at 16:11
Caroline, provided that you dig a big enough hole (the 1m gap is easily wide enough but you need to loosen up the compacted soil) and incorporate enoughorganic matter then you should be able to grow pretty well anything. As well as the Prunus and Amelanchier look out for Malus tschonoskii which is a much more upright growing tree.

Sylvia, your Almond should need minimal pruning except to cut out any crossing branches or to reduce size. If so prune in late winter/early spring when dormant.

23/08/2009 at 22:21
Due to revamping my border I now have a few bare 6 foot high fence panels and would like to plant a tree in front of one of the panels. I don't want anything that will grow too big (but must grow higher than the fencing)or have too wide a spread. I am very keen on Eucalyptus and would love one in the garden. Any suggestions please.
18/10/2009 at 15:40
we have a small garden,and would like to plant a small tree in our garden.must be suitable for wild birds which we encourage into our garden,through all seasons,would appreciate your advice on what kind of tree...thanx from misschief
05/04/2010 at 22:06
A few years ago Gardners World showed a "HUF" house in London (possibly Chiswick, with a back garden designed by a well known garden designer. Unfortunately I cannot recollect her name, but I do remember three trees that were planted next to each other and the wonderful colour of their leaves. Does anyone remember this episode and the name of the garden designer and these superb looking trees.
06/04/2010 at 11:08
Hello Hamish, We've checked with the GW programme team, who tell us that the designer was Anne Pearce, and the trees were Cornus capitata. The item was shot with Joe Swift. Best wishes, the GW web team
18/04/2010 at 19:54
Thanks very much for your reply, really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my enquiry. Best Wishes Hamish
26/04/2010 at 19:00
Any ideas please for a very small tree for a coastal garden, we are right on the promenade so we get the salty air and sometimes spray. NE England.
11/09/2010 at 23:34
Listing the trees and describing them would be greatly helped by providing pictures - both of the whole tree and the leaf (flower if any). I see lots of trees I like, but I've no idea what they are called. I'm trying to stock my small back garden with small trees (don't want to upset any neighbours), but I'm finding it impossible to find any site/article that shows trees' details AND pictures.
09/10/2010 at 20:21
Can you recommend an evergreen tree, not too dense, that would provide some privacy for me from the front of my house which is open to direct view to people walking past.
17/10/2010 at 12:31
SOS Would really appreciate your advice please. I'm about to purchase a Silver Birch (Betula)for a new 11' wide garden. I shall plant it 1-2' away from the left hand side 6'fence and at least 10' away from the house: there's a car park ajacent to the fence. I'm trying to avoid berry producing trees, I need a tall slender trunk with spread at first floor level. I like the 'filtered sunlight' of the birch, but would this be an unwise purchase?
18/10/2010 at 08:08
Carole: I think a Birch would be an excellent choice. Try and get Betula Jaquemontii as it has the best and whitest bark. Beechnut: Tricky as most evergreens are quite dense. If you live in a relatively mild place then you could grow an Olive. Alternatively Arbutus or Acacias would work well. Your choice increases dramatically if you can cope with deciduous trees. Mildred: If you click on the links, pictures will appear.
1 to 20 of 29 messages