London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
4 messages
18/10/2013 at 15:48
Lovely ideas, layering tulips in a pot...but BEWARE OF SQUIRREL VANLADISM! I planted up lots of pots of tulips last year, but very soon after planting, squirrels set to work vandalising the bulbs. So, undeterred, I replanted more, taking precautions such as putting rocks on tops of the pots, and burying chicken wire under the top layer of compost. However, I only got to enjoy the emerging blooms for one day...the vandals were back. They had evidently breakfasted on succulent, fresh tulip heads, leaving me bare stalks to look at! So, I draped garden netting over the remaining pots. It didn't look too good! Not sure if I'm going to grow tulips again...
:-(
NB... - they don't seem to care for narcissi or other bulbs in the same way :-)
KEF
18/10/2013 at 16:04

Have taken note, will bring my tulip pots onto patio. Doubt they'll go there, probably too fat to come that far from wrecking feeder and scoffing. We do have some squirrel proof ones, not bought, they wreck them, H has improvised with old wire coat hangers/ tie wraps etc...to the extent that I can't get into them to top them up

18/10/2013 at 17:30

I've had bare stalks and blamed the muntjac. If it was squirrels the muntjac deserves an apology. Do you think they ate the heads off the hellebores? I blamed the mutjac for that as well

18/10/2013 at 17:33

I've never seen squirrels eating tulip heads - but rabbits do. Are you sure it was Tufty and his pals?

email image
4 messages