Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Verbena bonariensis

My borage loves to escape from the veg patch to the borders, as do English marigolds. Valerian and buddlia do almost too much. But I love plants for free, not just because of my Scots ancestry but it means the plants are right at home with me.

• I love Welsh poppies (meconopsis cambrica). Some people don't like the fact they self seed everywhere, but I see them as a gift of nature. I used to have only yellow ones because I wanted a more controlled colour selection, but I threw down some orange seed just to mix things up and add to the colour of the wallflowers. You can control them by not letting them go to seed if you are fussy.
    Verbena Bonariensis one of my all time favourites, it really brings everything the garden together.
  • Yes also looks good with Perovskia, this photo from Savill Gardens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25977589@N07/3881139789/in/set-72157623527314495/

Of course the yew hedge behind makes the picture too?
  • I too love Verbena bonariensis, I grew it from seed many years ago. I took plants with me when my husband and I moved to Spain and they self seeded prolifically around our plot in the mountains and looked great growing alongside the wild flowers and grasses. My Spanish neighbours loved them too. We returned to the UK a few years ago and brought our plants back with us. Unfortunately the severe weather we had last winter killed off my large Verbena bon. plants along with several others, but luckily I never cut down my perennials until Spring and now have lots of seedlings popping up everywhere, I just dig them up and move them where they are needed or pot them up and give them to family and friends. I have two wonderful Lupin plants that suddenly appeared last year as seedlings also oriental poppies spring up everywhere, I've never planted any neither have my neighbours so I presume I have the birds to thank. When my foxgloves and aquilegia seed pods turn brown I assist them by giving them a little shake, then cut some off and scatter them elsewhere - I just love plants for free.
  • My garden is currently a competition between ox eye daisy and oregano trying to out do each other and colonise the whole patch. they have even reached the front garden some how.
  • i also like forget me nots and violas. they pop up every where in my garden. i have a problem with cats, so i just dig up as many as i can and plant them in the problem areas as well as broadcasting as many seeds as i can. the only problem is in spring, i have to do a lot of thinning out.
  • My auricula have just blossomed again. Is this unusual? It certainly took me by surprise_ They are beautiful
  • Agapanthus are not bulbs!!! please can you get this correct on your site.
  • Can any one give us some tips on how to get a mock orange to flower. The graound is clay , although we have fed and dugin compost it still refuses to flower
  • how can i keep geraniums and fuschia over wintet without a greenhouse?
  • I to would like advice on overwintering geraniums.Anyone out there who can help?