London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
9 messages
10/10/2008 at 20:05
Although they aren't garden birds "waggies" do come into towns alot during the winter. One dark winter evening I was doing some Christmas shopping and could hear lots of bird noise. Looking up there was a tree full of Pied Wagtails! I assume they had gone there to roost as it was warmer. The amazing thing was the people around seemed oblivious to them.
23/10/2008 at 23:19
I had a very unusual visitor to my back yard last summer Richard. It was a wagtail in all its finery,except it had a yellow breast. Saw it two days in a row,and it had what looked like a twig,wedged in its foot. I would love to know what it was ?
25/10/2008 at 20:52
Hello Spud, Chances were that it was a yellow wagtail, although it could have been a male grey wagtail. Hope that helps.
16/12/2008 at 18:57
can anyone tell me if they have known a grey wagtail to fly at window purposely time and time again, this has been hapening to me foe weeks now.
22/01/2009 at 19:28
hi yes i have had a yellow wagtail doing the same to my window since november.
26/01/2009 at 21:42
Reply to Val and Joan. I've not seen this in wagtails, but a long-tailed tit bashed itself against the window of a holiday house in the Isle of Wight or days for the entire week we were there. I've been told there are two possible reasons for this: aggressive, seeing off the reflection as if it were a rival; and learned if previous visitors to the house had been feeding it.
03/02/2009 at 09:00
How do i get Buddlea seeds to germinate in the tropics? I live/work in Vietnam, where they have beautiful butterflys, so i brought out some seeds from the UK to attract said beauties...but no luck with outside sowings in pots. It's 35'c here + sunny and humid.
09/02/2009 at 11:21
Reply to Ken. Don't bother with buddleja. It is a thug of a plant and I never recommend it to anyone. There may also be local laws (as there are in the UK), about planting potentially invasive species. There are two sure-fire ways to attract butterflies up close in the tropics. (1) Leave out over-ripe fruit in a sunny spot, or a raised platform like a bird-table. They will be attracted to the fermenting juices. (2) Urinate on bare ground. They will be attracted to the salts and minerals. The second method often results in a living carpet of gently rustling wings as they 'mud puddle'.
28/11/2011 at 18:37
I totally agree and always thibnk of them as happy!!
email image
9 messages