London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
13 messages
15/05/2009 at 17:49
Two branches from my very old beautiful Wisteria succumbed to the winds - it had already suffered badly this winter and just seemed to be recovering from the frosts.
15/05/2009 at 21:41
My plastic greenhouse with all my seedlings crashed over and ripped and left seedlings all over my garden. I have managed to rescue most of them but wonder how they will fair in the next week or two.
16/05/2009 at 08:54
Damage of a different kind in my garden. I thought my pansies were being dug up by a blackbird collecting mud to glue her nest together (I had seen her at it!). I decided to plant a euonymus in this particular planter where the pansies are instead so there would be less bare earth to tempt Mrs Blackbird. I dug down and hit something soft and white. I thought maybe an underground fungus or something. It turned out in fact to be a whacking great triangular piece of soft cheese!! I have been racking my brains about what creature could have buried this. I have 3 kids but they certainly didn't do it and the cheese wasn't from our house! No rodent could have carried something so big so I am thinking maybe a fox. I put 2 bricks either side of the euonymus to deter further digging. What I really need is an infra red camera and Bill Oddie....
16/05/2009 at 08:56
I have a plastic greenhouse and have been fine. I live in mid west France and our weather hasn't been too brilliant/ Far too windy and a lot more rain than usual. I've already planted out courgettes and some tomatoes so it'll be interesting to see how they survive. I have lots of back up plants in the greenhouse in case of failure!
16/05/2009 at 15:46
Here in the Midlands we have had some torrential downpours as well as the wind.I came down yesterday morning to find 5 of my Alliums(purple sensation) has been decapitated. I also have a plastic greenhouse but my husband has weighed it down with a paving slab on the bottom shelve, sems to do the trick.
17/05/2009 at 10:38
My perennial broccoli plants have now been staked due to the wind, something I never imagined would be necessary!
17/05/2009 at 19:38
I live in the east of England. I agree, the strong winds seem to speed up the evaporation of moisture from leaf surfaces. In my part of the world, we get very little rainfall and I am finding it increasingly important to choose drought tolerant plants for my garden. See my list of drought tolerant plants http://www.plantadvice.co.uk/plants/drought.php
18/05/2009 at 16:17
does anyone know the springwatch programme starts?
20/05/2009 at 19:28
I have a 2 yr old Blueberry plant which had lots of flowers. Unfortunately, its seems top be dying now and I dont know why. Its been in the same place all winter and spring. Its got brown curling leaves and generally looks like its not been watered but has been both by me and the rain. Help!
25/05/2009 at 21:13
Springwatch started today at 8 pm on BBC (You did ask, sarahs pond), no Bill O this year, perhaps he's helping out at frogspawn's. Thanks Pippa for the subject title, wind being one of the biggest problems for my crops. Luckily, very little damage this time, except for a Tayberry, where a cane snapped off the wire support.
09/06/2009 at 18:47
could someone please tell me what to do with the many primrose plants I planted that are now 'over'?
15/06/2009 at 12:43
Soft chese in a garden.....I suspect a fox too ! Hope all those wind battered plants ahve now settled again and are putting up with the current heat-wave!! Primroses that are 'over' ideally leave them be, or else plant them somewhere that they can grow way still and be ready to look stunning again next year!
28/11/2011 at 18:38
My magnificent climbing hydrangea managed to come adrift meaning that at least a half of it had to be 'chopped' Such a pity as it was SO happy on its north facing wall in the north of Scotland.
email image
13 messages