Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Wind

It's been very windy here in Dorset too. luckily I haven't had anything damaged just a couple of pots blown over. More high winds are forecast for tonight so I've been outside to check that everything is secured, hopefully tomorrow everything should be where it should be.

• its been windy in coalville to with lots of ground frost ,but my winter cabbages might just be okay for christmas week with my brussells first time i grown anything
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591
    Very windy in Bristol too = blew my Xmas wreath on the front door into the garden but no damage done. I'll fix it again when the wind subsides. I'm giving a pre - Xmas lunch to some of my fellow volunteers from the Botanic Gardens tomorrow and they will have to put up with "those onions are from my lovely crop this year"and "I had such a glut of strawberries I had to freeze a load and some are in your trifle" I agree, Pippa, the produce from your own efforts pay for the extra effort.
  • OK, so which joker decided to illustrate a piece on wind with a picture of a cabbage?
  • LoreaLorea Posts: 81
    Shouldn't it have been a picture of some beans?
  • MrsPMrsP Posts: 1
    Greetings all - it's been very windy in Sussex too - much of this week on the nursery has been spent re-tying trees to their lines, clearing up broken glass from greenhouses and removing fallen/broken trees - it's heartbreaking when such lovely plants get destroyed in bad weather, but all part of it I guess. Happy Marion - please may I have some trifle?!

We're waiting for the hard frosts to come and kill off our beautify exotic plants......I think I'm a bit of an old softie really - they're like my babies!

Keep warm everyone!
  • Does anything like the cold wind. I can't think of one
  • I can't think of anything that likes the wind

Aha, Rattan Garden Furniture, all wind pollinated plants love the wind and there are loads of them.

• It's always windy here in Lincolnshire! Some of my pots had blown over after the last very windy blast. I find that if I remove the pot feet from all my pots and weigh them down with bricks also move them to as sheltered a site as possible, although they don't look very elegant it usually does the trick. Parts of my garden have "wind tunnels" . I have a clematis in a pot growing through a climbing rose and in the earlier part of the year,after we had a windy spell the clematis got hopelessly tangled up in the rose and I couldn't untangle it. It did flower well but I shall move it in the early part of next year to a less windy spot. The climbing rose will have to flower on its own.

The latest windy spell seems to be much worse with lots of damage done, especialy to polytunnels.  The lime trees especially seem susceptible to wind.  my drive is strewn with broken branches from the two trees next door.  safer to stay indoors in this kind  of weather.