Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Td immunisations...

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I was reading through the infor from the alloment association on the site where I have a plot...who suggested allotmenteers checked their tetnus injections were up to date as being in close contact on a regular basis with soil there was a risk of infection through cuts.

As I have regular blood tests, asked at my surgery on the last visit about having a tetnus injection and discovered my last one had been in 1980, their records didn't go beyond this and whilst I'd had my childhood immunisations decided after discussing it with the nurse to have a further one.  

Whilst I've since, read, different info on the subject...ie an imunity is developed if you've had so many injections over a time span and the antibodies stay in your system, if the last time you were immunized was childhood chances are they are nolonger present in older age.

Whilst I seldom had cuts in the back garden it seems an occupational hazzard on an allotment, especially when first starting up and clearing a site hence the reason for another injection. 

What are other posters views...     

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Regular tetanus boosters are essential for all gardeners,even if they usually wear gloves.

A lot of immunizations given in childhood wear off as you get older.I have just had a polio,tetanus,and diphtheria booster.

• Wot fidget said image

Have to fess up, i havent had mine done, one of those things you think you will sort out but never do image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Lots of different opinions on how long immunity lasts. Probably varies from person to person.

Having nursed people with tetanus in the past,  and seen some of the after effects, I shall continue to have 10 year boosters while I can still poke around in soil.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Do you just ask for it Nut? My surgery arent keen on doing anything they dont have to! image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Yes, just go and say you're due for a tetanus jab. The practice nurse will do it you don't need to see a doc

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Last time I asked when my booster was due the nurse told me I didn't need any more as I'd have built up enough immunity by now - I think I'll speak to the GP about it when I go for my next checkup in a couple of months.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

My doctors does tetanus boosters every ten years.(well the nurse does anyway.)

• That's what I used to have Fidget, until I asked for the last one when I was told I didn't need one ... http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tetanus/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Please, please , please have tetanus boosters. Sadly I have looked after patients with Tetanus, and the outcome can be very bleak. I have seen a case due to a garden incident.

Like many doctors, I had a habit of "forgetting" my boosters, but having spent some time in recent years in the bush in various 3rd. world countries, I became more sensible.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border