London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 32 messages
31/05/2014 at 11:27

I say it a lot, but we have a small garden. A very small garden. I dare to say, maybe the smallest of all the 'regulars' on here. And after three months, I've filled it. No more room for anything. It's infuriating! Especially with you all sharing your wonderful photos of clematis!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47560.jpg?width=632&height=350&mode=max

The drive is bigger than the entire garden!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47561.jpg?width=711&height=350&mode=max

But what I have in my 15ftx8 garden is an array of plants. Including and not limited to, lettuce, spinach, coriander, parsley, five tomato plants, three strawberry plants, a pepper plant, spring onions, violas, marigolds, fuchsias, a lilac, three roses no less, dainthus, ameria's, sweet peas and a whole lot more besides, when I joined the forum I only expected to have some pots, and get some advice on what things grow well in containers, now I have an allotment three times the size of my garden, more plants and seeds I dare count, I even own a lawnmower, two forks, a spade, two rakes, secateurs, a tiny but still is a greenhouse.

The only issue I have with such a tiny garden is that there is nowhere to have any seating, and a shed. What I'd give for storage! But this is my little lot for now, and I couldn't be happier and prouder of what I've achieved in this three month period, and how much happier I am as a person for it. And a lot of it is thanks to you all So thank you!

31/05/2014 at 11:36

That is so pretty and so colourful Sweetpea - give yourself a hearty pat on the back 

Make sure you've got a seat up at the allotment - you'll need it 

31/05/2014 at 11:39
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

That is so pretty and so colourful Sweetpea - give yourself a hearty pat on the back 

Make sure you've got a seat up at the allotment - you'll need it 

Finding a bench has been nightmarish Dove, there aren't any that are affordable local to us! At the moment it's on your bum on the grass at the mercy of the bugs, I have a kneeling pad up there I use as a cushion when it's damp! The life of glamour huh?

31/05/2014 at 11:45

A sturdy upturned bucket with a cushion or folded jacket on it will have to do then 

31/05/2014 at 12:24

..very nice..nothing wrong in that...my last garden was a patio no bigger than where your greenhouse is...

...my driveway is similar to yours and what I've done..although it's not cheap... is to put some large containers along the side and plant them up with an evergreen for year round interest... I might put them perhaps along that railing..maybe 3, if there's room still for parking...  I've got Camellia's planted up in mine...just a thought for the future maybe...

..storage is always a problem I find..not to mention our wheelie bins..!

31/05/2014 at 12:29

There isn't space sadly where the gravel is. It's wide enough for the car, but nothing else. OH wouldn't be able to get into the car otherwise, but down the left of the lawn we've got the strawbs, toms, and lettuces in pots. We've also planted in the very narrow 'border' to the right some alpines and some bulbs, mainly to see what will happen.

This house isn't a forever house, so there isnt much point in planting too much, or spending a lot on expensive climbers and the such, as much as I'd love to, as we may not even be here in a few months time.

31/05/2014 at 13:00

Maybe a fold up plastic camping chair (or 2 for OH) which you can use on your lawn then fold away and prop against the fence.  I have an old metal fold up chair on my allotment which I prop against the compost bin when not in use. 

31/05/2014 at 13:02

In some ways you have to be much cleverer to garden a small plot.  With a larger plot you need more energy.

31/05/2014 at 17:20

I have a wooden chair that folds up SP, it's great as I put it in the GH when there is room, at the moment it's outside by my shed.

You should be very proud of your garden, it shows that you don't need a huge space to make it beautiful, just a bit of imagination and TLC.

I love pots, they take a bit more looking after as they need more watering but I love that you can swap about what's in them, I have quite a few pots now, and of course there is the benefit if being able to take them with you.

Big pat on the back for you SP 

31/05/2014 at 17:31

My garden is too small so I have started on next door.  

31/05/2014 at 20:28

There's always hanging baskets too SweetPea 

31/05/2014 at 20:31

That's the plan OL, I just got a lilac that I've wanted for so so long, but I'm keeping it in pots until we settle somewhere, whenever that might be!! It's rather cluttered at the moment with pots, but soon we can do some 'pot arranging' with the seedlings.

I wish I could start on next door, they're a little peculiar, often rude, and seem to smoke rather suspect... plants? but they've had a bag of compost on a bench I've never seen them use since we moved here in September. *grumbles how I could put them to better use*

The other neighbours have become a little 'keeping up with the jones'' and have started to improve their garden too, not that I mind, anything that keeps the houses looking lovely and inviting helps everyone in the long run.

31/05/2014 at 20:32
Fishy65 wrote (see)

There's always hanging baskets too SweetPea 

I'm not allowed to put hanging baskets up, it's rented property Fishy. Though the landlord is a fan of what we've done!! Though of course he is, especially when it comes to taking some photos when we leave!

31/05/2014 at 20:41

Have you thought of doing a turf seat SP?  Beg, steal, borrow or buy some fencing timber and make a cube about 18/24". Fill with soil,compost and grit and sow grass seed on top. Place in a convenient position at the edge of the grass and park your butt 

31/05/2014 at 21:46

Sweet pea I got a cheap bench at antique/ salvage place, just keep your eyes open, you'll find one

31/05/2014 at 21:47

SweetPea - when I had a tiny space of a front garden and not allowed to attach any fittings to walls or fences - I found a way of having hanging baskets.  What I did was I bought a couple of the cheapest flatpack obelisks from B&Q.  I chose the ones made of metal which have four prongs in the bottom to stick in the ground.  I was lucky in that they also were over a foot wide all the way up and instead of buying the ones which taper in thinly at the top coming to a point, I chose the real cheapy put together ones which are as wide at the top as they are at the bottom.  (Wish I still had a photo to show you).

I also bought the really sturdy garden wire.  I pushed the metal foot pronged obelisiks as far as I could get them to go into the ground so that they would be firm in - and on the grass they make only four tiny little holes.  So doesn't mess up the grass.

Then I put lobelia, petunias and other trailing plants in any plastic pots which I could fit inside the obelisk and used the garden wire to wind tightly around the top of the pots and the bottom of the pots - which I then attached to the wire frame of the obelisk.  I used to have 6 small pots with trailing plants inside the obelisk and supported by garden wire.  (Wound the wire round several times and attached very securely).  When the plants grew it looked absolutely lovely - like a fountain - but one which took up very little space and when done you could just remove the lot and the only mark left were the four tiny holes in the grass which you didn't even notice.

So you are not attaching to anything other than your free standing obelisk.  And all can be removed without a trace.  They looked lovely.  I had one at each corner of the little grass bit with one in the middle. 

It's an idea.

31/05/2014 at 22:10

Sweetpea its so pretty. You could put clematis in  pots with canes or an obelisk. Then take them with you when you move, 

31/05/2014 at 22:34

I was just coming on to suggest what Lily has just said, I remembered whilst walking the dogs that I have my Clematis in a pot, it's a smaller variety that only grows to about 1.2m (allegedly) and have have today planted busy Lizzie's and lobelia (that I've grown from seed) at the bottom of it.

31/05/2014 at 22:52
I may look into a small clematis because I currently have my biggest pot devoted to my sweetpeas with a homemade bamboo structure thing, wigwam? Anyway the sweetpeas have all died after I stupidly tried to split them, for their own benefit mind, and it seems the ideal spot for a clematis, maybe a white variety? I don't have any white flowers.

I don't have any ground by the house Yarrow, it's all slabbed. I'm not sure how I'd ensure it's safely attached to the house. If I'm imagining it correctly that is.

I saw something on a roof terrace the other day that looked lovely but I don't know what it's called. It's sort of in a corner shape to fit in a corner... Obviously... And there's three shelves in it. Each shelf had a pot on it with some sort of tumbling ivy in them. It seemed to be a painted white iron, with a dainty little pattern at the top. Looks a little like the corner units you'd find people store pots and pans on?

I'd like to go to an auction/car boot but I work every Sunday and the car has seen better days in all honesty. I'm hopeful about a bench someone is selling for ??10. It's just fitting it in the car!

Hope everyone has had a lovely day!
31/05/2014 at 22:58

SP, in Aldi they have had some lovely tiered planters, I think they are £14.99 and have 3 planters but on a stand if that makes sense, I just thought I'd let you know as it's a way of getting more plants in a small space by stacking up 

1 to 20 of 32 messages