London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 5°C
121 to 140 of 210 messages
20/05/2014 at 08:28

I would like to add Plantify to the good guys list.  

Van Muewan ok for bulbs, annual plugs etc but not for shrubs, perennials if you want a performance from them within 2 or 3 years.  So many bare root and small plugs offered for sale that are just as expensive as buying established potted plants bought elsewhere.  The moral is to check out size, quality and reputation before buying. 

20/05/2014 at 09:00

I've had extra special service from Hayloft, Peninsula Primulas and Podingtons.

I've also not had any problems with Buckingham, Burncoose, Crocus, Pomona and de Jager and would use them all again.

20/05/2014 at 16:49

Verdun that's very true sometimes a bargain is an expensive one

20/05/2014 at 16:59

Received an order from Jackson's Nursery in Staffs today. Prompt delivery, well packaged and would recommend highly. Kept up to date with delivery info as well 

20/05/2014 at 17:51

Sorry Fairy, that was a mistake.  You need to send me your received order from Jacksons.  Your own order will arrive in due course. 

20/05/2014 at 18:22

Ok Verd. I'll pack them up again and go to the Post Office tomorrow ...

Not...

I have some Foxglove plugs coming from The Botanic Nursery so hopefully they will be good too.

20/05/2014 at 19:26

Oh, you are a tease Fairy. I would have thought you so gullible.......er, I mean so very, very kind if you had sent me your, er my, order 

20/05/2014 at 21:25

I've ordered off Jacksons Nurseries too. The plants arrived quickly to the day I specified and were well protected in their packaging. Plants are very healthy.

20/05/2014 at 21:38

Have received reasonable little plug plants from Sarah Raven, though the ammi major (?) was very etiolated. Generally speaking am not a fan of this nursery; I was once invited to hear her speak for 2 hours at a cost of £32!!! a couple of years ago. My response was 'I would pay that to hear an International Opera Singer, not a young florist!'

31/05/2014 at 22:02

This one is only for VERDUN!

Thirty quid down the Swanee! 

Year before last  I ordered from T&M 5 Wild Swan anemones, twenty five quid plus a fiver postage! They were dead on arrival  no roots but T&M eventually replaced them, they never made any effort to grow and died!

I also ordered the same from Hayloft for the same cost, they also arrived dead no roots, and they also eventually all died!

Earlier this year I contacted Hayloft  only to ask if there was a problem with them, they said they "were difficult" and said they would replace them in June.

Which I am very happy with, but no success with T&M!

They all must buy these plug plants in  from some other grower as they are the same price and the plug plants all look if they are out off the same mold! Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I usually never have a problem growing on plants but these have been impossible so far!

Cheers!

31/05/2014 at 22:08

Jimmmy - i also gave up with plugs of wild swan - bought full size plants from Hardys last summer/ autumn - and they are thriving - one about to flower already.  Worth spending the extra for a full size plant in this case i think (although i am generally a fan of plugs for good value and enough plants for a "drift")

31/05/2014 at 22:34

just got some streptocarpus from Dibleys they are very nice plugs well package too have potted them today so see how they progress

31/05/2014 at 23:24

Yes Dibleys are very good, healthy plants & very well packed.

31/05/2014 at 23:42

Simply do not like plugs of perennials.  There is also no need to do this.  

I have 3 wild swan plants........all,about to flower and will continue all summer. They flowered all last summer.  I bought as 2 and 3 litre pots, one locally from Burncoose nurseries the others on line.  

Plugs of perennials are hit and miss.  They may flower in 2 years if you can grow them.  They are usually sold in 3's at a cost similar to one in a 2 or 3 litre pot.  The latter will flower almost immediately. Why plugs?

Sorry Jimmy but you prove my point....you have spent a fair sum yet have nothing to show for it.  

Anemone Wild Swan is a great plant

01/06/2014 at 08:28

I'll just add The Botanics Nursery to this list. I received large foxglove plugs a couple of days ago - lovely big healthy plants, well packaged and labelled. Important when they're totally different varieties but look identical at this early stage! They went straight into two 7" pots temporarily and I hope to pot them into some individual 3" pots today. Excellent service and kept me up to date as there was a slight delay because of Chelsea. 

KEF
02/06/2014 at 19:12

Bump

25/06/2014 at 07:32
Received an order for oxygenators from Waterside Nursery last week and wanted to post up how impressed I was.

Good info on site, prompt delivery, healthy plants and very well packaged with good planting information

Good choice of British natives in their site as well
25/06/2014 at 08:06

Burford garden centre supplied some agastaches this week via their online service. Excellent service, plants, delivery (ordered on Mon am and received Tues am) .  Always email when satisfied and will be ordering again from them.

02/07/2014 at 08:47

Here it is folks.....where to add the "good guys" 

02/07/2014 at 10:10

Ah hah, found you at last; my good guys are RHS; fast service, brilliantly packed and the plant was larger than expected

121 to 140 of 210 messages