London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
4 messages
19/02/2014 at 12:14

Hi I am new to this forum and would like some advice for buying top dressing in County Durham preferably which is of good quality. I run a Garden maintenance Http://www.gjgardenservices.co.uk business in Chester le street and I would like to offer more services to my customers. Would a sandy top dressing 70/30 mix as advertised on pitch care be acceptable for you average lawn?

13/03/2014 at 23:25

Gary 2 

i top dressed my lawn last year . I used a 3 part mixture of loam, mp compost and horticultural sand. The loam was produced from old turf that had broken down over a year

As regards your question where to buy dressing , I am not to sure. I would have thought it should be available but its not something I have seen in bulk but only in small 20 litre bags

14/03/2014 at 11:06

Gary, I'd make your own. it's cheaper and you can control the quality. Buy MPC in bulk along with the sand and topsoil. Use a cement mixer to mix, then bag and use as needed.

Top dressing is easy to do, and having been a commercial gardener, control over cost and quality, is better than trying to save a few quid, by buying in stuff.

Customers will appreciate the effort if it's explained to them properly and the results will be appreciated.

14/03/2014 at 20:05

Gary, I would just say that business people starting threads and posting links advertising their business are often treated with some suspicion.

email image
4 messages