London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
16 messages
04/06/2014 at 21:51

Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone knows anything on poisons.

Next door has sprayed there back yard with poison, I've asked what type and she said she cant remember it was just a kill on contact type. I'm a bit gutted as I have all me veg and fruit on the border that leads onto her garden, and I'm thinking if she has put poison up to the border of her garden it will of went into all me onions blueberry bush etc etc. She said she sprayed it last year then done the centre of the garden not so long ago. 
She said its a kill on impact but then she said its safe for animals as she has rabbits.

What do you guys think?

Thanks guys. 
Hope to hear good news 
Jen 

04/06/2014 at 21:56

Was it weed killer, insect killer or some other killer?

04/06/2014 at 22:00

Without knowing what type of weed killer she used I think we'd struggle to answer this properly.

04/06/2014 at 22:03

It was weed killer as she has killed all the weeds and grass off in her garden so she can lay turf.

04/06/2014 at 22:05
Clarington wrote (see)

Without knowing what type of weed killer she used I think we'd struggle to answer this properly.

Yeah I think that is going to be the case, I'm proper gutted I've got loads in my borders that I have been watching grow since January.
04/06/2014 at 22:12

I don't think you have need to panic - this sounds as if it was a contact weed killer (such as glyphosate) which will only kill the plants it touches and it's plant killing properties are inactivated on contact with the soil.  

If she'd used the type of weed killer which remained active in the soil and which could therefore spread to other plants would also kill the turf she intends to lay. 

04/06/2014 at 22:13

When did she do it? 

04/06/2014 at 22:16

If her plants have died and yours haven't it's safe to assume she's used a weedkiller and it hasn't landed on your plants, at least not on the foliage.

04/06/2014 at 22:22

Sounds great to me Would of been gutted if my past few months work had went to waste.

She done it last year and in the centre of her garden I think about 2 months ago @nutcutlet

04/06/2014 at 22:25

Then stop worrying. If her plants are dead and yours aren't it's too late for trouble now. 

04/06/2014 at 22:26

If she did it that long ago and your plants are healthy you have no need to be worried.   It hasn't affected your garden. 

04/06/2014 at 22:28

fab fab, I was just worried about the root veg, but feel alot better now.

Thanks guys

04/06/2014 at 22:29

No problem, if it had affected the root veg they would be dead.

04/06/2014 at 22:48

Most herbicides of the contact genera, neutralise on contact with the soil.  It sounds, like other members have said.  Your veg is safe.  However I find it totally irresponsible of your neighbour, using any chemical, and not knowing what it is.  How  would she explain herself to doctors etc, should a child get hold of the sprayer and ingest anyof the content.  Even as a professional, despite how many times I had used the same chemical.  I would always check the label.  Then if mixing a concentrate to a sprayer.  I would make certain a clear label was afixed to the spray container.  Who knows.  I.  The user might become victim and require urgent medical help.  Perhaps in a nice way you could get this through to your neighbour.

04/06/2014 at 23:10

You're right Mike. I don't like chemicals but you've really got to think if you're going to use them.

14/06/2014 at 16:23

Yeah I agree mike, most of the flowers are edible in the border that leads on to hers and I have a 1 year old who eats most of them  

Im gonna ask her to tell me if she puts anything into the soil next to my stuff even if its poisonous just so then I know to move what ever I have growing or just not to sow there in general. 

email image
16 messages