Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

White slug like creatures

Recently my garden looks like it's dying and I have noticed lots of white slug like creatures (white white brown head - anything from 1cm to 2.5cm). What are they called? I don't think leatherjacket as look different. Thank you

• Thank you! Just looked and that's what they look like. How best to get rid?
  • Thank you
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

When we first moved here nearly four years ago we found that part of the garden had an infestation of vine weevils.  We treated that area with two applications of Nemasys Vine Weevil nematodes which has really dealt with most of the problem. 

We do still get an occasional occurrence, but haven't yet had to reapply the nematodes.  We've not used any other method of controlling them other than to encourage hedgehogs, frogs, toads and birds into the garden and of course they help by eating the adult weevils .

Good luck image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• turmericturmeric Posts: 830

They're drawn to pot and containers and certain plants too.  If you have pots can you take the plants out and check for the vine weevil larvae?  Then you can treat them in a contained environment rather than the nematode stuff being lost in open soil.  Also check to see if you have any particular plants that they may be drawn too (such as heuchera) and take a look at their roots or pay particular attention to those plants when treating.  Nematodes seem to be the most effective.  And whenever you see the adults (largish black/brown beetle) crush them immediately with your foot - sorry animal lovers!  Good luck.

• Thank you everyone - really appreciated
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

As it would be a really bad thing for Ana garcia to go around crushing every black beetle in her garden image  here's a pic of a vine weevil

Hope that helps. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you - how did you attach the photo? Just want to check it's the right one?