London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
8 messages
21/11/2013 at 08:27

When I was at work, central to the the view from my window was a mature Prunus subhirtella 'autumnalis' growing in the centre of the lawn - such a delight throughout the winter.  

It's one of my favourite flowering trees - I bought one for my parents' garden years ago and they loved it too.  

Now I do not have a winter flowering cherry in my life - but I have a front lawn - I could plant one in the front corner by the driveway - I could underplant it with little pink cyclamen coum - it would look gorgeous - I am so tempted.

My one concern is that our front garden can be quite chilly - we're on the lower side of a small (Norfolk) valley and the frost does roll down the hill and settle here, whereas the back gardens, being terraced remain frost free on those mornings. However, there's no space to plant a cherry in the back garden.

I know that the tree will withstand hard frosts, but I only know how well it blossoms in sheltered gardens.  Will I get the same quantity of blossom in mild spells in the winter in my frost pocket?

Does anyone have one in a similar spot?

21/11/2013 at 08:57

I love the grace of the flowering part. But, in maturity, the solid trunk of whatever it's grafted onto becomes disproportionately heavy looking. This spoils it for me. I've never seen a non-grafted one

21/11/2013 at 09:02

The one in the gardens at work was grafted at just above soil level and had a slim trunk and a leaning asymmetric form - it is gorgeous.

That's an important thing to remember - where it's grafted! 

21/11/2013 at 09:07

Very important, you can hide a low graft behind a small evergreen shrub.

The overall visual effect of the high graft resembles a medical condition,  maybe elephantiasis

21/11/2013 at 09:09

I agree - it looks very odd! 

22/11/2013 at 10:42

I have always wanted one of these; but am also concerned about breezy Fenland winters. How big do they grow and can they be pruned?

22/11/2013 at 11:52

The one at work must be about 25 years old, possibly more, and is about 3m tall, a very slim and elegant asymmetric shape - mind you it's had absolutely no attention whatsoever throughout it's life.  

As for pruning, I'd think pruning is only necessary to remove crossing branches etc - it doesn't seem overly vigorous to me.  I think keeping their natural shape is important too. 

23/11/2013 at 16:08

Dove, thank you.

email image
8 messages