Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

aubretia question

I have a lot of what I think is aubretia (masses of lilac tiny ground cover flowers, we inherited it when we moved in so not certain of its name)

I have always just left it be, but this year it has gone mad and I will have to tidy it up.

My question is, can you/should you give the aubretia a haircut after flowering???

Also can you start cuttings from it, or do you have to buy new seed??

• Thanks for that Verdun, 

In the past the aubretia looks very bedraggled and exhausted after flowering, so a trim cannot look any worse I dont think.

I have noticed the many colours that are available and are bright and vibrant.

I think I'll have a portion.

• Rodgy-dodgeRodgy-dodge Posts: 115

mine are looking awful at the moment as the snails have enjoyed munching it?, does it self seed readily? parts of mine have small seed pods on I wondered whether I should cut them back or just leave them?

• Mmmm !! interesting point.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364

I think they can spread by layering themselves. If you look closely you can see what looks like a lot of small roots coming out of the stems. Try pegging them into the soil and covering them with earth.  Then protect then from the B slugs and snails, as they tend to prune to death.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• ansellansell Posts: 3
    Trying to take cuttings at the minute from New growth also trying to peg and layer
  • sunnylanessunnylanes Posts: 1

Mine are all gown from seed and two years on this has been their first good year. Thanks for hair cut advice, was wondering what to do.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Yes - they benefit enormously from a good prune after flowering. They'll often flower a little later on if you do that too. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Just moved to house with a huge area covered in aubretia. It was magnificent in the Spring but now looks dreadful. As it is such a large area I was wondering what I could do to brighten it up

Don't fancy looking at such a mess for the rest of the Summer. Any suggestions?