Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Average gardeners spending

Found this line in a recent Guardian article http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/23/shopping-plants-seeds-best

"The average British household spends £47 a year on garden plants, according to research from the ". I guess there aren't many average people here then image.

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

I'm clearly subsidising at least ten other households!

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Don't let my OH see this.

I tell her that I am very restrained compared with other gardeners, but I spend at least that on seeds alone.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

It would be nice to see the average spend of a household that actually does any gardening. Or at least the median spending of all households.

• I suppose a lot of people live in flats and don't have gardens but it does seem very low!

BTW I think your link is missing the end, steephill? This should work.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/23/shopping-plants-seeds-best-deals 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I've never been normal in my life and I'm not starting now.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

£47??   My OH would give a hollow laugh, no way - that cannot include gardeners surely.

• £47 a year???? to quote Victoria Wood "Hollow flipping laughter"

But then I'm not sure my siblings even know where their gardens are so maybe between the 3 of us it'd average out nicely image 

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

Don't add it up. It will only upset you to know how much you are all spending on your plots.

• Lets just say I've been known to get that back in loyalty points from the garden centre........

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Compost is my biggest outlay, don't spend on plants though, maybe just the odd bargain from Morrisons.

Someone can spend ??94.00 now and still keep the average up;)
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.