London (change)
Mon 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
41 to 60 of 71 messages
09/04/2013 at 19:03

You would never get a garden as humble as the one in Rosyth on GW, yet that was much more informative and relevant to me than most of GW these days.  That's the Beechgrove difference!

09/04/2013 at 19:48

Enjoyed the first episode, but did anyone notice a desperately shivering Chris Beardshaw in the closing scene? Me thinks he needs to invest in some thermals.

09/04/2013 at 19:58

Wintersong  

We're hardy souls up here!

Oakley Witch - my sister lives near Edinburgh and I've visited the GC you're talking about. They moved from the original site but I think I've been to both. Can't quite remember now.

Have to agree with you Paul that perhaps it's a feature they should try on G's W as it would be relevant to lots of people. I did think the fatsia they used looked a bit ropey though! 

11/04/2013 at 20:28

How was the 2nd episode for you? at least the weather was better.

11/04/2013 at 20:48

Better, I thought blackest. I was never a fan of Beechgrove but I think it's mainly  because  of the presenters! I really don't like the girl that wasn't on it tonight (Carolyn) as she was always too over the top for me, but she seemed much more reserved last week! George and Jim are good though as they have a lot of experience and again, it's about gardening according to your conditions not what books say, or what happens in a totally different part of the country.

11/04/2013 at 20:48

Better, I thought blackest. I was never a fan of Beechgrove but I think it's mainly  because  of the presenters! I'm not keen on the girl that wasn't on it tonight (Carolyn) as she was always too over the top for me, but she seemed much more reserved last week! George and Jim are good though as they have a lot of experience and again, it's about gardening according to your conditions not what books say, or what happens in a totally different part of the country.

11/04/2013 at 21:21

Don't know what happened there-post vanished when I sent it so had to type it again but both are there!!

11/04/2013 at 21:22

unfortunately my recording went wrong so i will have to do it again on saturday. There is loads to learn and i think its worth rewatching a few times. I guess an experienced gardener would get less from it. The giant veg thou i don't understand that.

11/04/2013 at 21:30

Sounds interesting, pity they seem to think gardeners are watching tv at 9.30 on a Sunday morning!! I must try to record it, Gardeners World isn't as good as it used to be, not enough gardening information for me.

11/04/2013 at 21:36

Another gardening show on the telly whats not to like. Enjoyed it. The old duffers are good value!

11/04/2013 at 21:53

what channel is it on please ??????

11/04/2013 at 22:09

BBC2 Scotland on thursdays at 7:30.

This week the repeat is on BBC2 nationally at 9:30am on saturday due to the GP. Gardeners world is moved to 9am on saturday as well. The gardening shows seem to normally have a fuzzy slot between 8 and 10am on a Sunday morning on bbc2.

Jak
11/04/2013 at 22:37
11/04/2013 at 22:43

I have gradually fallen out of love with GW, and especially since MD took over. Beechgrove by contrast was a delight...ordinary gardeners doing ordinary gardening things. I thought Fred Loads and Aurthur Billett were going to turn up at any minute.

The programme was informative and perfectly pitched.. let's hope the producers of GW were watching, although for them to change they would need an operation to remove the BBC's arrogance implant they all seem to have when they join up.

Even CB slotted in unobtrusively.

Please don't vote for independence...we have so much in common...even the snow these days.

11/04/2013 at 23:30

Another good programme with loads in it but no hurry.   I won't ever be trying to grow or propagate begonias or giant veg but some people do and the advice on getting long root veg by giving them a tube of soft compost to grow in could just as easily apply to anyone just trying to get a crop on ground that is otherwise too heavy.

On Saturday morning, Beechgrove and GW will be repeated back to back on Beeb 2.   I think GW will be found wanting in such close comparison and needs to up its game.

12/04/2013 at 08:42
I watched beechgrove last night. Enjoyed it .....slow, leisurely, comfortable and pleasant
I too simply have never appreciated those giant veg. What is the point? They look ugly, are not fit to eat and the growers are obsessive. A Beetroot with 3' roots??
12/04/2013 at 08:50

Now Now Verd..

I could just see you growing some giant leeks and going round all the county shows!!

I thought you were describing me for a moment there...slow,leisurely...

The comments are very interesting now that people have a comparison between the 2 programmes. Perhaps it's highlighting the fact that G's W needs to look a bit further afield if it's to retain it's slot as the main gardening show-more regional items. After all, we don't all live in the south of England!

WW -Independence ain't happenin'! Just watched Dickie Bird on BBC news. He's great-hard to believe he's 80!

12/04/2013 at 09:49

verdun - People grow giant veggies for competitions as a hobby, like some people grow prize daffs or roses or sweet peas.    It's all about plant husbandry and is a harmless way of having fun unless you're into sabotaging the competition's leeks.

I'd rather grow interesting and tasty veg I can't easily get in the shops but I'm not going to knock gardeners who like the big ones.

Fairy Girl - GW does indeed need to look at its focus and get a plan for being more relevant to ordinary gardeners or esle hold up its hand to being just an entertainment  gardening show and not intended to inform, educate and advise would be gardeners or gardeners with limited experience and/or resources.   The size of Monty's composting area is bigger than a lot of people's entire garden.

12/04/2013 at 10:15

I agree Obelixx. Many people live in towns and cities where space is at a premium- they'd struggle to find room for a small compost bin let alone anything else. I've lived in houses of all sizes and therefore wildly differing gardens and I know personally they vary enormously in terms of requirements. Perhaps having Beechgrove as 'competition' will force the powers that be might to make some changes and that can only be a good thing for everyone. I like G'sW and always have, but listening to comments here it seems a lot of people are unhappy with the way it's heading.

12/04/2013 at 10:44

I like GW too but increasingly find that Monty's style of gardening with all those rooms and hedges and devoted pond/compost/fruit/grass/herb/veg/greenhouse and coldframe  areas is increasingly irrelevant to most gardens and gardeners who have to juggle space and time and budgets to fit all of those in to a relatively small garden space with neighbours and boundaries and different soils and climates to consider.

41 to 60 of 71 messages