London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
61 to 71 of 71 messages
12/04/2013 at 15:21

thanks blackest 

12/04/2013 at 19:36

I hate to mention it yet again but GW started to lose the plot (groan) when the great Geoff H passed away.  He had a diverse range of gardens at Barnsdale but with the focus on an urban back garden scale and always with budget in mind.  Monty's "pond" is about as big as my local swimming pool.  It's lovely, but irrelevant to my garden.  GH built one from a cut down plastic dustbin, I copied it, cost about £9.99.  I've now got frogs in the garden, and a very small scale bog garden surrounding it, looks great. I can enjoy GW like I would an upmarket garden magazine, lovely to look at but not really relevant to me.  Beechdale (along with the GH DVDs) is what I need to get me out in the mud and rain getting soil under my fingernails!

12/04/2013 at 20:22

well i really enjoyed beechgrove but looks cold up in scotland, and as for gardeners world i could watch it every night people need to understand montys garden is big and alot bigger than most people gardens but it needs to be so we can relate to at least one bit in our gardens. Theres always a mixture of things on GW and always tips we can pick up along the way.

anything to do with gardening on tv always makes me smile

12/04/2013 at 21:06

I am watching GW right now and can't wait to the end to vent my ire. I am a newbie alpine gardener with a small alpine house. How much useful information/learning was I given tonight... next to nothing. Opportunity missed ( some of you may remember I saw this being filmed on a recent visit to Wisley) I was really looking forward to seeing how they were going to cover the topic.. as usual they skipped across the surface. All mouth and no trousers, or do I mean all pretty pictures and no substance.

The orchid sequence was poor too. Having mentioned that Phalanopsis is the one we all seem to buy they then potted on a different variety altogether... how brain dead is that? 

The visit to Wales had no practical gardening help being mostly about proteas, and blow me Monty eulogised about february Gold Daffs. What was the point of showing us something we have in our own gardens and can't be planted until the autumn? Could have told us what to do with them when they go over...but no.

Sorry to keep going on about the decline of GW but it was a national treasure... now sadly missed. Needs a thorough overhaul.

24/04/2013 at 20:17

Everyone seems to have gone quiet since Beechgrove started.  I'm thoroughly enjoying it although the cold weather is clearly having an impact on what they would like to show (still too cold for the tatties, aye!).

Do I detect an influence on GW already?  Monty's alpines in a pot seems much less grand than of late, something we could all do if we choose. The two programmes need to remain distinct but having them both easily available is great.

24/04/2013 at 20:19

I agree - love them both - and with A-Z aswell thats three whole gardening programmes to watch every weekend.  Well done BBC - lets hope the other channels catch on.  I used to love the Channel 4 "Real Gardens" many moons ago ...

24/04/2013 at 20:32

Real Gardens chicky-it was great! 

I'd personally love to see J. Alexander- Sinclair presenting a gardening prog. He's very entertaining and has a great way with words 

24/04/2013 at 22:09
A real trip down memory lane for me. I watched it regularly back in the 80s despite living in a flat in the centre of Glasgow. Hearing the old theme tune made me quite homesick. And the presenters are still the same! Wonderful!
25/04/2013 at 10:14

I'm enjoying Beechgrove too and am quite happy that they're not doing much outside, other than show ways to protect plants and get the soil warmed up as most of their Scottish audience and a lot of the rest of the country is clearly in the same boat.

As for Monty, I keep telling my own garden group that th best way yo get ideas and inspiration and see what's possible is to visit other gardens.   I think he needs to get out more too as his sole influence seems to be Sissinghurst.  I'm glad he's finally trying alpines but didn't think much of his choices for his pots.  Bit dull given the variety available in both form and colour.

I find myself fast forwarding through a lot of the A to Z - anything on exotic orchids, jungle gardens, Joe Swift or Toby.   Love the native orchids though and wonder if they couldn't distribute some seed for trying in gardens as so much natural habitat is being lost.

27/04/2013 at 18:13

I agree with Obelixx about the fast forward button on the A to Z, although I don't avoid Joe or Toby.  They seem to be Marmite presenters.  The James Wong stuff is of little interest to me. I also find Carole Kirkwood a bit irritating.  Not sure why we need her to say "thanks Geoff" when a 20 year old clip of Geoff Hamilton has been shown! Some enjoyable bits on it though.

28/04/2013 at 19:44
Tall Paul wrote (see)

I agree with Obelixx about the fast forward button on the A to Z, although I don't avoid Joe or Toby.  They seem to be Marmite presenters.  The James Wong stuff is of little interest to me. I also find Carole Kirkwood a bit irritating.  Not sure why we need her to say "thanks Geoff" when a 20 year old clip of Geoff Hamilton has been shown! Some enjoyable bits on it though.

Im so glad Im not the only one thinking this lol

email image
61 to 71 of 71 messages