London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
11/04/2014 at 13:44

Hi all dose any body know what is the best multi purpose compost this year ? I brought some auther bowers this year as that's all my local garden center had at the time but it has grown mushrooms and mould and the plant poted up in it have died . I used west woods with john inning last year and was really good but can't find anyone who stocks it this year . 

11/04/2014 at 17:34
I'm finding my young plants in the homebase plus stuff doing better than those in the b&q stuff, which seems to go mouldy very quickly.
11/04/2014 at 19:56

50 litres at B+Q ,verne type.very good.

11/04/2014 at 20:09

Wickes has a buy 2 get 3rd free on Westland. its got John innes in it. £5.99 A bag for 50 ltrs. I use it every year and its great. I tried the B&Q one a few years ago and I kept getting a black residue coming out of it, like it was covered in soot or something. I also found it to be very woody.

11/04/2014 at 20:50

I find Homebase MP possibly the best from a large retailer.BQ seems to have improved but not for seed has it has too much woody bits in it.

Used a composts called Jacks  Magic for my baskets and containers last year and had great results

11/04/2014 at 21:15

The Homebase own brand Plus has far too much in the way of large and woody stuff in it.  It looks more like the output from a garden shredder than compost.  I used some last autumn to plant up bulbs in pots and the surface looked like a mountain range as the bulbs started to shoot. Instead of just pushing up through the compost, lumps of compost were pushed up.

11/04/2014 at 21:58

I am using the standard Homebase mpc this year it's very good, also tried some Westland mpc & it seems identical to the Homebase stuff.

11/04/2014 at 22:14

Hello Sarah.

Sad to hear of your probs with JA Bowers Multipurpose Compost.  I have at times promoted this product on this forum.  I use it all the time.  In fact in my storage area of the garden.  I probably have some ten or more 100Ltr bales.  I use it for indorr plants.  Greenhouse potting up etc. In the garden I will mix it with some bagged farmyard manure.  Then I remove any weeds from the garden.  Lightly prick over the soil, and apply the mix as a top dressing/mulch.  I can't say any more.  As a Pro.  I have found it the best.  Yes I admit.  I have had the odd bale that appears to have gone a bit mouldy.  Absolutely no problems.  Like as with so many things nowadays.  So much is marketed wrapped in plastic of some kind.  Probably if you or I were wrapped up long enough.  Who knows.  Perhaps we would be spouting mushrooms.  Please believe me.  The compost IMHO is of the highest value.

07/06/2014 at 14:54

All our allotment plot-holders swear by Clover multi-purpose. It is 100% peat, and does all the jobs very well.

Ethics aside, when you are doing a lot of plant-raising, chopped tree products are a waste of time.

07/06/2014 at 16:23

Cant beat Jacks Magic from homebase,the best compost I have ever bought. A bit dearer than others but well worth it.

08/06/2014 at 07:42

Jacks magic without a doubt!! lovely stuff  I got deal 3 for £12 

15/06/2014 at 09:49

Have used J Arthur Bowers this year, as have a number of friends, and have found it very poor, with large amounts of wood waste and plastic pieces, presumably from recycling centres! Will not use again.

15/06/2014 at 10:28

I agree Bill, it was never as bad as that in the past was it? I wonder if the company is under new management. Or no management

I haven't complained yet but I will and you should as well. The peat free is OK though.

15/06/2014 at 11:18
Carbon gold from OGC. Best stuff i have ever used but costs a small fortune! They do a sample pack of three products for ??15, worth a try.
Worst one was lidl, i had the same issues as you have had, everything else has been much of a muchness, have a look on creativegardenideas site, they are really good value and deliver free of charge in most areas if you spend ??30
15/06/2014 at 11:18
Sorry that should have been ??30
15/06/2014 at 11:19
Ok, never mind the question marks should be a pound sign
15/06/2014 at 11:39

Yeah I'm on j Arthur bowers too our local makro had it on offer and although it's a bit woody I just pick out the obvious big bits save it to one side and then when planting a bigger plant chuck it in the bottom of pots, helps with the drainage! 

15/06/2014 at 11:55

I  am another disappointed A Bowers user this year.  Our garden club chairman and allotmenteer recommends Erin.  

Both Jacks Magic and Erin use peat - so perhaps we do have to use peat to get a reasonable seed/potting compost?

15/06/2014 at 21:18

Disappointed with Miracle grow this year, a bit mouldy.

Try Lidl brand at £1.99 for 35 ltrs.  Its a good basic compost

15/06/2014 at 21:43

Hello , over the years I have tried the cheap and cheerful , B & Q and everything in between but keep coming back to Levington's  which seems consistently good 

1 to 20 of 22 messages